Tiger bug list. hopefully could be helpful

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. :( I thought you saved as draft and then reopened it in the editor. I've tested it now and indeed, even in the viewer the links ain't live ... mmmh weird. Well, you can always copy paste the links to safari ... but that's a quite cumbersome workaround.

The Synch Pro X bug I mentioned a few posts up has been confirmed:

We have found that copying extended attributes for files residing on an AppleShare server appears to trigger the problem, which is in Tiger, not in Synchronize! Pro X.

We have reported the problem to Apple and hope that they fix the problem soon. In the interim, if you see the problem again you can probably eliminate it by not copying extended attributes for syncs that involve sharing files via File Sharing or AppleShare.

Best Regards,
Hugh Sontag
Qdea Technical Support

---------

Also, here's a tech article on Extended Attributes:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars/7

In Panther, I had several screen resolution choices for the G4 867 Powerbook (512MB RAM). In Tiger, there is only one: 1280 x 854. For the most part, who cares? That's the resolution I like best, anyway.

But when, umm, playing full-screen games (there, I admitted it!), such as "Return to Castle Wolfenstein", there is no choice in the game for 1280 x 854. For RTCW, that's no big deal--you can play it in a "window mode", but there are others that don't.

And I'm dreading hooking up a projector to do a presentation...

How can you add more resolution choices to the "Displays" preference?

Thanks,

mk

figurehead said:
I have also experienced the annoying "Keyboard Setup Assistant" dialog. I don't use a KVM switch, but it seems to appear every time I start up and every time I switch user accounts. I have a Mac mini and use an Apple keyboard and a Logitech cordless mouse. Disconnecting the mouse stopped the dialog from popping up, which is kind of interesting. I have yet to try a wired mouse to see if the problem remains.

I haven't noticed this problem with my PowerBook G4 with a wired USB Kensington mouse.

Installing Logitech Control Center seems to have solved this problem for me. Does anyone else having this problem use a Logitech mouse too?

Hover your mouse over the back/forward buttons and the text tool tip appears in the centre of the screen and not by the mouse cursor.

In QuickBooks Pro 6, when you double-click click on an account transaction, it actually opens the transaction BELOW the one you selected! This really screwed me up at first. Fortunately, I caught it soon enough, but it's a serious problem.

I am trying to let Intuit know, but I'm sick of looking for a way to contact them with bugs.

Captain Code said:
Hover your mouse over the back/forward buttons and the text tool tip appears in the centre of the screen and not by the mouse cursor.

Seems to have gone away now.

I wanted to rename a folder on an encrypted sparse disk image and after typing 2 letters of the new name it locks the Finder. Mouse still works but CMD+Tab does nothing, dock doesn't respond etc. Have to force reboot.

it's 3am time to bitch! :-D

BUGS
----
Spotlight : Kind -> Others -> type dropdown typing in a word will autoscroll dropdown to matched listings. you can also use the mouse to click and navigate. both ways spurattically scroll back to the top though, regardless of what you're doing.

Mounted volumes : When switching to another user without logging out (with multiple logins setup) and then logging out of that user and switching back to original, all non-internal mounted volumes have been unmounted.

802.11b : Not too sure on this one but since upgrading signal strength on a network that was always full strength (with the AP only a few feet away even) is at most 2 bars.

Annoyances
----
Finder & Spotlight : Metadata isn't editable(or at least copyable :-( )

Spotlight (again!) : Results in menu window at least have mouseOver window with path location, but Show All -> window you have to click the (i) to have a popdown textarea with path. Ineffecient/slow as all hell when trying to determine between many results of identical name. No way to expand the area dedicated to directory heirarchy to file. You can't save custom search location sets. It doens't have any caching of option settings, as if I want Kind and Last Opened to always be defaulted...Saving a Smart Folder with a used name doesn't allow a replace option. Can only save smart folders in 3 options, not full filesystem choosing. The 'research' circle arrow is really easy to miss. Spotlight menu dropdown must have search results to display Spotlight Preferences option. No way to turn spotlight menu off.

System Preferences : No shortcuts on toolbar anymore :-(

Burnable Folders - this is nothing new, why do they need to give it a name and make things differnet for it.

When opening a TextClipping from finder you can select and copy text out of it...except that your selection doesn't highlight. Took me abit of time to realize why it was only copying half the clipping

neosocra said:
Save PDF to Web Receipts seems to fail consistently. Anyone else have success with it?

I see that problem too. Well, it has do do with, GASP, UNIX Permissions (this seems to be a an OS X trend). A work around is you going to have to place the PDF on your desktop, do a GET INFO on the PDF and change the Permissions under the "Ownership & Permissions" arrow so anyone could open the PDF. Then attach the PDF to the email.

Can someone confirm this problem: You have dozen applications open and you press command-tab to switch application. Result: the switcher does not display all open application. (I'm using a TiBook and 10.4.1). Thanks for testing this out.

Satcomer said:
I see that problem too. Well, it has do do with, GASP, UNIX Permissions (this seems to be a an OS X trend). A work around is you going to have to place the PDF on your desktop, do a GET INFO on the PDF and change the Permissions under the "Ownership & Permissions" arrow so anyone could open the PDF. Then attach the PDF to the email.
It actually, GASP, has nothing to do with that. Email? Where the hell did you pull that from Captain Random? Did you even read before you typed or were you in such a hurry to look like you knew something that you skipped over that requirement? It looks like it's just a busted workflow, not really an OS level bug but a feature added automatically by Tiger that craps out. But if ever there comes a time that I need help on how to set permissions or email I will be sure to refer to your blither.

neosocra said:
It actually, GASP, has nothing to do with that. Email? Where the hell did you pull that from Captain Random? Did you even read before you typed or were you in such a hurry to look like you knew something that you skipped over that requirement? It looks like it's just a busted workflow, not really an OS level bug but a feature added automatically by Tiger that craps out. But if ever there comes a time that I need help on how to set permissions or email I will be sure to refer to your blither.

Personal attacks are not tollerated here. Consider yourself warned.

larry98765 said:
Bug I've found in Tiger Mail: In older versions of mail, I could compose a letter with hyperlinks, then test the hyperlinks before sending

What I did was bind <cmd>-<ctrl>-h (using System Preferences/Keyboard Shortcuts) to Menu Title: "Open URL" for All Applications so that I can select a URL in almost any application and then open that URL in my browser with a single keypress.

(You'll find "Open URL" in the application menu under Services).

You have to restart applictions for the keyboard shortcut to be recognized by them.

--T

I actually posted this in another thread but it would be more appropriate here:

- X11 still won't accept connections on anything but through ssh (maybe), which is pretty broken
- ssh has HUGE delays when connecting now (60 seconds or more, even after turning off IPv6 (which is another bug - DNS delays if IPv6 is turned on))
- Still huge SMB (windows file sharing) problems even in 10.4.1, much worse than 10.3
- Apache is bizarrely slow
- Mail just suddenly stops being able to send SMTP mail when I'm at work (at one point it starts connecting to the mail server and then just "hangs up" immediately) - after restarting it's fine
- Doing simple AFP copies between two 10.4 boxes usually sends the AFP protocol to 100% on whoever's acting as the "server"
- Forgetting about Spotlight's huge usability issues, constantly consuming 100% CPU and thrashing the disk around every time I: Add large new files, add photos to iPhoto, add fonts, add music, etc... I mean, one's a dual G5 2.0 (with the full-speed bus) with 2.5GB RAM, come on...
- New Mac Mini I just bought crashed once during the initial bootup, before I even had a chance to do anything with/to it!

I'm seeing these on 3 independant machines with VERY different hardware & software installed - it can't just be me!

Okay maybe not bugs but complaints.
1) WHY can't I print in the Dash? ARRRGGHHH, like printing my Stickies, Address book, Dictionary, Unit converter, Translator, heck, I can't even copy and paste with the right mouse button.
2)Spotlight works well but sometimes it brings up files which, for the life of me I can't figure out why, that have NOTHING to do with the word I used, and I have tried EVERY angle I could to find a link to the search term.
3) Why does it still require an act of Congress JUST to ADD a file or two or three to a CD-R or CD-RW? Windows can do it. I do it all the time on my VAIO.
4) This isn't a bug but a MAJOR wish list item. Why can't Apple create a web page that will examine your system and tell you if you need upgrades on programs?
5) I'm all out of ideas but I know I'll have more later.
Paul, a LOYAL Apple fan, PC user and owner too, but I like the Mac a LOT better, oh what I wouldn't give to have my Mac SE, dual floppy disk, with my favorite program in the UNIVERSE, remember Comic Strip Factory? I would pay BIG BUCKS for the same exact program for my iMac.

How about Spotlight being so touchy? If you so much move the cursor one pixel it will open my Airport preferences.

Back