usability

i read through all of the main osx complaints and the number one complaint is the same as what it was a year ago, slowness. well i had the same complaint i hated the spinning ball so i did something about it.

i installed mox optimize and turned the window server level up. now no more ball. i also installed the milk theme which makes the intire system flow much faster.

the slowness of the finder can be ended by the end of horizontal lines and window server power increase.

MOX OPTIMIZE-SIMPLE THEME=FAST OSX

what are you using to successfully change the X.2 theme? i'm paranoid ^_^.

About my earlier post on the minimizing feature. Jaguar had an option to minimize in place and I thought that to be very cool. But it never showed up in the final release so here is a link to some software that will set it up to minimize in place.

http://mcgavern.com/mac/mip/

Everyone using it should REALLY consider that the Dock will - after the patch - be the 6C48 Build's version.

I remember that build not to be of the really stable variant, but it was the last build to have that particular feature.

So be warned... :) Now you are.

Originally posted by fryke
Everyone using it should REALLY consider that the Dock will - after the patch - be the 6C48 Build's version.

I remember that build not to be of the really stable variant, but it was the last build to have that particular feature.

So be warned... :) Now you are.

Yea, i used that Dock.App for a while, but well, things seemed to go wrong, and MIP isn't so great after all. The MIP Windows have the same Z layer as the dock, what use is that? :confused:
It was something cool to try out, but i think apple didn't really lost anything, leaving it out 10.2

Neyo

The true nature of the "Dock" was never intended to house minimized windows.

Minimized windows should go into the "Sea" or desktop as its called. You should however be able to hide windows into their application icon in the Dock. The Dock really should indicate when an application's window is hidden. I'm gussing the axed it because it didn't comply in some way with their UI guidelines.

I Got my hands on a copy of the Longhorn Release 3683 today, and there were a few things there i thought could be added to this discussion...

Firstly, something that i noticed by accident, but now LOVE!

(See Attached shot for reference)

Basically, when you have the Address shown, each directory is split OBVIOUSLY by the "/" now, if you mouse over the section between the "/'s" then a popup will show you what else, is in that directory, and on one click take yo to it. Now this is VERY neat, and allows you to get back and forward, kinda simular to Column view, whatcha think Kids?! :p

Neyo

Attachments

• longhorn.jpg
    longhorn.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 15
Deleting Stuff.

I've found more system wide in this Longhorn release, Wherever possible, the system tries not only to just LABEL a file bin.jpg, but go a step further...

Often, you navigate around, and click on files, and you get previews, and relative information for that file.

Take deleting a file for example, this JPEG image (See attachement)

The "are you sure" Dialog now consists of NOT jus "Do you wish to send bin.jpg to the Recycle Bin", but rather gives you a prompt of the file you are deleting! Thats a nice touch if you ask me!

bin.jpg

The picture below shows the "My Pictures" folder open, with Common tasks enabled.
See the "9 of 9" in the top right? thats kinda neat, allowing you to move through your files in a slideshow manner, if you wish!
explorer.jpg

NeYo

sorry neyo, i don't see anything here that i don;t already have with osx. granted some of it is because i use Default Folder X, but a basic preview is not that big of a deal unless i'm missing something because i'm just looking at a pic. seems like just another instance of windows copying apple and apple's 3rd party developers. not that i expect that to ever stop.:D

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
sorry neyo, i don't see anything here that i don;t already have with osx. granted some of it is because i use Default Folder X, but a basic preview is not that big of a deal unless i'm missing something because i'm just looking at a pic. seems like just another instance of windows copying apple and apple's 3rd party developers. not that i expect that to ever stop.:D

Hey, no need to apologise, but did i miss something?! The Finder seems quite bare by contrast to this, maybe all the stuff seems a little overwhelming, thats a personal choice, but i haven't seen this stuff in X. I know you can do thumbnail views on Folders, but you have to set that up, right? Whereas, you have Common Tasks which provide the preview, whether or not Explorer is displaying Thumbnails/Tiles/Icons/Details etc...

Does that make more sense, or did ui miss something Ed?!

Holla! :D

Neyo

Have to say, Microsoft have NOT taken a step forward from Luna with Plex. Its Far From pleasant really! I love the Taskshelf, it can be hidden with a click of a button (next to the clock) but the theme is awful! Fortunately, while this still, underlyingly, is very much Windows XP, Styles can be used from the original msstyle 1.0 standard, so there's still a lot of choice. :D

I Like what they've done with the common tasks, comparing to XP, but the theme, NO NO NO!!

Neyo

OK, the preview thing, that's good. But mac OS X does the preview thing if you are in column view, which is the way X was meant to be navigated. The other views are only there for legacy users and particular workflow needs. So, it's good, but hardly new.

I'd send you a screen shot but my screen shots are all in pdf and I don't feel like spending time converting them into something reasonable for the web. That's a bad thing. I was loving screen shot to PNG, why did Apple lock us into pdf only screen shots?

Anyway, the preview almost makes up for the unintuitive choices. The selection and the choices should make the actual question superfluous. Windows still misses that one. "Jpeg, yes or no ... why yes, that is a jpeg. Wait, what's it asking?"

Next, why do you need confirmation on a completely undoable action?!? That's the point of the trash can, call it whatever PC term you want it's still a trash can. An undoable action needs no confirmation! That's why it's undoable! Windows teaches people to click dialog boxes without looking at them ... or to read reeeeaaaallly fast.

Next, congratulations, M$ has blurred IE and Windows Explorer into one mass, but which slash is the file delimiter? NeYo even messed it up in his reference. Do you know what a tech support nightmare the backslash is? You tell someone to type a slash, and every time you do you have to tell them "no, regular slash, not backslash. The one that's on the same key as the question mark." If Windows wants to improve things, it could move to the slash that everyone else uses and make the internet and Windows a little more unified and tolerable.

In all, kudos to XP for raising the bar. But I still think that improving windows is like trying to carve a gold statue out of horse manure. The problem isn't the size of your chisel, it's the big hunk of crap that you're carving.

As for stealing from Xerox, I have lots of bones to pick about that piece of revisionist history, but in the end, competition improves product, and IP shouldn't be hoarded. I agree with MacLuv, Everybody copy everybody, but let's hurry up and get the suck out. Computers have had too much suck factor for too long! Mine, yours, everybody's. If you don't think your computer has suck factor, just make sure you kept the receipt for your soul.

... I hope that wasn't too raving and maniacal. Those improvements just really rubbed me the wrong way. Perhaps I just need the touch of a woman... am I off topic?

like i said Neyo (and MacLuv), get Default Folder X and give it a whirl. i've been using it since os 9 days so these functions seem really old to me. it slows your finder down just a wee bit when opening to folders with huge numbers of files in them while in a browser, but other than that, the organization tools are huge time savers plus all those "common tasks" are always right there when you open up.

i must say that when it comes to finder window usability, this program greatly enhanced my experience long ago and only continues to improve. the developer is one of the best at listening to what users want. i even got to beta test the features i requested. he is dedicated to making a quality product that is worth every penny.

hey at least give it a demo and then tell me what seperates your longhorn from it.

Originally posted by theed
NeYo even messed it up in his reference. "no, regular slash, not backslash. The one that's on the same key as the question mark."

So, ACTUALLY i did it RIGHT, and Windows was Wrong?! i used Forward Slashes :p

NeYo

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
like i said Neyo (and MacLuv), get Default Folder X and give it a whirl. i've been using it since os 9 days so these functions seem really old to me. it slows your finder down just a wee bit when opening to folders with huge numbers of files in them while in a browser, but other than that, the organization tools are huge time savers plus all those "common tasks" are always right there when you open up.

i must say that when it comes to finder window usability, this program greatly enhanced my experience long ago and only continues to improve. the developer is one of the best at listening to what users want. i even got to beta test the features i requested. he is dedicated to making a quality product that is worth every penny.

hey at least give it a demo and then tell me what seperates your longhorn from it.

Sure Thing, i will look for it later, i hadn't heard of it previously. We could drag out the typical "bandwagon"

This Comes outta the Box with Longhorn, as Does Multi-Desktop, As Does...

But well, the same ol' response would follow

"NT has been in development how long by contrast" LOL ...so we won't go there

MacLuv, What was the thread to VENT (u like my Rhymes?! :p) :D hehe

Neyo

Originally posted by MacLuv
Okay I'll give it a whirl. But all those PC guys don't have to d/l a third party app like we do to enjoy the same features...

:mad:

i wanna go on the horsey ride!!!
:(

*el bawlo*

now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Great Minds think alike?!

MacLuv, You're not fortunate to wake up, and see you're Room in a Cold BLUE Glow ... Lit by a welcoming message

Win32.sys has caused an error in:

(LOL)

...Longhorn hasn't crashed yet! ... but XP Crashes OFTEN, so i don't have ANY Confidence in an Alpha build based upon XP :rolleyes:

NeYo

Back