What is your favourite quotes?

'(We) are now very sorry indeed, particularly in the killing and eating of the parts of its employees.'

King Koko and the chiefs of the Brassmen to the Prince of Wales, 1895

I shan't think we will see an Indian at all this summer,

--Custer's Army Physician, writing in journal three days before Little Big Horn

For some reason, capitalization is not working.

--J.D.

"I never insult guests personally or talk over them the way they do to me, so anyone who won't go on with me is just being a @u$$y"

- Ann Coulter

He is SO dumb, he thought the Gettysburg Address was where Lincoln lived.

--Wanda Gerscherwitz

--J. "Don't Call Me Stupid!" D.

"I am not worth purchasing, but such as I am, the King of Great Britain is not rich enough to do it"
Colonel Joseph Reed

"Though I speak with the tongues of angels, if I have not love I am but a resounding bell or a clanging bell".

-St. Paul

In response:

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way.

--Bertrand Russell

--J.D.

The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
George Bernard Shaw

"Il vaut mieux gacher sa jeunesse que de n'en rien faire du tout." Georges Courteline

Last edited:
Bah! Yoda is WEAK! Prefer to quote the Japanese Original!

I agree as a general statement. Nevertheless in this particular case where Yoda is supposed to see in the future, which prevents people actions to change the future and therefore makes people actions worthless - killing the concept of freedom - Yoda's quote makes sense.

Old folk love to give good advice to console themselves for no longer being able to set a bad example.

- François, Duc de La Rochefoucauld

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Back