What is your favourite quotes?

Rhisiart

Registered
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
Mark Twain

I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.
Mahatma Gandhi

Did I Say That?
Meat Loaf

(I've used that as the intro quote for my latest book. Well, it's from 2003, so "latest" is a wide term... Either way: I find it a hilarious song title to use as a quote. Just try implementing it in conversation.)

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity." - Albert Einstein

Too many to pick just a few.. but I try to keep a track of the ones that I like most..

Never express yourself more clearly than you think.
~ Neils Bohr
I complained that I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet.
~ Persian proverb
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
~ Leonardo da Vinci
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
~ Samuel Clemens
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
~ Albert Einstein

Being a keyboardist, here's one that I'd like to think I might have come up with....unless someone already coined it.

"You must control your voltage before you can oscillate."

Does it really matter what these affectionate people do--so long as they don’t do it in the streets and frighten the horses?

--Mrs. Beatrice Stella Tanner Campbell

Beatrice-Tanner.jpg

This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force.

--reviewing Atlas Shrugged

Wasn't the Yale prom wonderful? If all the girls in attendance were laid end to end, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think.

--Dorothy Parker, when challenged to form a sentence based on "horticulture."

300_74771.jpg

Ladies never move.

--Lord (George Nathaniel) Curzon, instructing his second wife on sex

curzon.jpg

--J.D.

'How very amusing! Actually attacking our camp! Most amusing'

Lt-Col. Crealock to Major Clery, 22 January 1879

Battle of Isandlwana, Zululand

1. I think it would be a good idea!
In reply to a reporter who asked "What do you think of Western Civilization?"
-Gandhi

2. I was scared the first time I had sex. I was all alone.
-Rodney Dangerfield

3. Times are tough. The hookers are giving out toasters.
-Rodney Dangerfield

"The difference between an optimist and a pessimist is that the pessimist is usually better informed."
- Claire Booth Luce

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."
- misattributed to Mark Twain

Or: "Listen widely to remove your doubts and be careful when speaking about the rest and your mistakes will be few."
- Confucius

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
- Oscar Wilde

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." — (attributed to Benjamin Franklin)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." — Mark Twain

"I worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty." — Groucho Marx

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." — Mark Twain

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." — Groucho Marx

"Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough." — Groucho Marx

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." — Groucho Marx

"Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy." — Groucho Marx

"The husband who wants a happy marriage should learn to keep his mouth shut and his checkbook open." — Groucho Marx

"While hunting in Africa, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How an elephant got into my pajamas I'll never know." — Groucho Marx

"Love goes out the door when money comes innuendo." — Groucho Marx

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception." — Groucho Marx

"I have nothing but confidence in you. And very little of that." — Groucho Marx

"Here's to our girlfriends and wives; may they never meet!" — Groucho Marx

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress." — Mark Twain

"Most people are bothered by those passages of Scripture they do not understand, but the passages that bother me are those I do understand." — Mark Twain

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." — Mark Twain

"All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." — Mark Twain

"The report of my death was an exaggeration." — Mark Twain, New York Journal, June 2, 1897

Last edited:
MDINKY: I think some of these quotes are attributed to Oscar Wilde, not Mark Twain. Maybe I am wrong.

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Unless our Oscar was plagiarist.

Quotes are often misattributed. The first is generally attributed to Mark Twain or another guy, Samuel Clemens. I have not seen it attributed to Wilde. It is from a letter to the New York Sun and the original phrase was: ". . . this report of my death was an exaggeration."

exaggeration2.jpg

The Dorothy Parker quote regarding the Yale Prom is often printed differently, but it comes from a person who heard her say it. We often alter and improve on quotes.

For another example, FDR's VP for his first two terms expected FDR to only last one term, and he would become President. His comment on the Vice Presidency is often reported as "not worth a warm bucket of spit."

It was actually "a warm bucket of piss." It was censored in the news.

And, again, Churchill never said that there were only three "grand traditions of the Royal Navy: rum, sodomy, and the lash!"--it was an aide--but remarked he wished he had.

One of the weirdest misattributions I have seen on Al Gore's Interwebs was some clown who attributed the infamous Cromwell quote--incorrectly phrased--to . . . Einstein! Did not know Einstein was a Puritan! He stormed off after that correction!

I had the occasion to correct a quote attributed to Yogi Berra--he did not actually say it. But as his books notes, "I never said half the things I said!"

Though, my favorite quote from Yogi--as a Glorious Red Sox fan:

They could've waited another year.

--Yogi Berra, asked during opening of his library in '05 if he was at least happy for the Red Sox winning a World Series

--J.D.

Looks like people like the "better to keep your mouth shut/closed" quote, as it has been cited three times now. :) There seem to be a couple of variations:

Wikiquote said:
  • They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
  • Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
The first variant was written by Franklin, with quotation marks but almost certainly his original thought, sometime shortly before February 17, 1775 as part of his notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly. See Memoirs of the life and writings of Benjamin Franklin.

The second variant was used as a motto on the title page of An Historical Review of the Constitution and Government of Pennsylvania. (1759) This book was published by Franklin; its author was Richard Jackson, but Franklin did claim responsibility for some small excerpts.

I agree, quotes are often misattributed. Unfortunately some rather good ones are too!

BTW, "Samuel Clemens" was the real name of Mark Twain, in case there was any confusion.

BTW, "Samuel Clemens" was the real name of Mark Twain, in case there was any confusion.

Yeeeeessssssssss . . .

Reminds me of a story: whilst listening to the radio, yet another abomination from Sir Paul "That Doggone Girl is Mine!" McCartney came on. I turned to a colleague and quipped:

"Was Paul McCartney in a band before "Wings?"

Colleague responded, "a little one." We laughed. About ten minutes later, a teen-volunteer responded:

"I think he was in The Beatles?"

--J.D.

No need to be inflammatory, it was not entirely clear whether you were joking or did not know (not everyone does)... :rolleyes:

Mark Clemens was also reported to have quipped that Shakespeare did not write his plays; they were written by another with the same name.

Just being flammatory.

--J.D.

Back