• 31-40

• 41-50

• 51-60

• 61-70

• 71-80

• 81-90

• 91-100+

Results are only viewable after voting.
15, I think I was 2 when introduced to computers, been on a Mac ever since. Even though I didn't really know how to type at 2, I admired it and managed to get a few electrical shocks... maybe thats why my hair looks the way it does today...

I am 15.

I used macs a while ago when I was little and my dad worked at Apple. Then he went to NeXT and we had a NeXT machine then went to PCs for a while (booooo) and last summer we went back to macs.

27...been using computers since C64 and got my first PC back in 1992, got my first Mac in 2000.

Its strange how many people are in the 11-20 age group. I would think there would be less. I always thought that I was abnormally young for these forums, but it appears that I'm not. I wonder why there are so many young people on here.

goog, your 15??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I would've never guessed. I thought you were somewhere in your 20s. Wow.

Well, I'm <<withheld>> years old. I've been using Macs since my second ever computer (my first computer was a keyboard attached to a TV screen -- I don't remember what computer it was, but it was an HP). The first Mac I got was a Mac Plus, and I must've been something like <<withheld>> years old. :)

Mac Plus --> Powerbook 150 --> Macintosh IIsi --> Powerbook 3400c --> original bondi blud iMac *sniff* --> G4 cube --> iBook 600 Mhz combo --> Powerbook G4 667 MHz

All of the laptops have been my dad's, except the iBook which is my mom's. I've always monopolized the desktop Macs. :p

ahhh the golden... green.. smokey... funny smelling age of 19! just popped 19 on april 10! whohoo! been on macs since 2-3 years ago.hey, it was the first time in my life i heard of macs, at least i should get credit for switching right over!

simx, I was saying this somewhere else that it doesn't really matter about age online a lot of the time. And you just proved it. You thought I was in my twenties, when really I'm not. Just out of interest why did you think I was over 20? I just want to know how people tell online. Because I sure as hell have a hard time.

There are exceptions, however. When people talk with numbers and excessive abreviations that leads me to beleive that they aren't in the older group of people.

Sim, If I were to guess your age I would say you were in your 20s. But who knows. As you've just proven it doesn't really matter. I've been able to talk to you without age making a difference. Age doesn't matter unless it signifcantly changes your maturity level.

Anyways I hope people on here don't talk to me differently now that everyone knows my age :). I thought that most people did, but what do I know. :D

Originally posted by googolplex
simx, I was saying this somewhere else that it doesn't really matter about age online a lot of the time. And you just proved it. You thought I was in my twenties, when really I'm not. Just out of interest why did you think I was over 20? I just want to know how people tell online. Because I sure as hell have a hard time.

There are exceptions, however. When people talk with numbers and excessive abreviations that leads me to beleive that they aren't in the older group of people.

Sim, If I were to guess your age I would say you were in your 20s. But who knows. As you've just proven it doesn't really matter. I've been able to talk to you without age making a difference. Age doesn't matter unless it signifcantly changes your maturity level.

Anyways I hope people on here don't talk to me differently now that everyone knows my age :). I thought that most people did, but what do I know. :D

Oh, I know this already. Of course age doesn't matter; I'm just amazed at my constant lack of ability to guess a person's age online (not that anybody ever has the ability :) ). I usually can talk to people of all ages online, and a couple of people were actually in their 40s or something when I though they were in their 20s. It just amazes me that you can conceal your age so well online.

The only reason I never tell my age online is because, like you said, it doesn't really matter. I usually only tell people who I meet in person (just because you can basically know their age group when you meet them), but there are exceptions (people I know very well, online). I also, to an extent, don't feel too comfortable giving out my age online, so I'm usually really careful about what information I give out online. I have to say, though, that if I WERE to post my age here, I wouldn't feel too uncomfortable. :)

Having said that, the people who do try to guess my age usually tend to overestimate. I've also had a couple times when people have thought I was a member of the opposite sex – I'm a guy, just so you all know :). It's partly because my first name is usually thought of as a female name (if I give it out), but also partly because of how I act online. In chat rooms, I would go as far as to say that half of the people think that I'm a girl. Ah, well, I'm not at all ashamed of that. ;)

Why did I think you were in your 20s, gplex? I've found there are three simple characteristic of writing online that most accurately predict age – but even these qualities never predict age very accurately. And you nailed one on the head, gplex – punctuation and grammar. Usually older people tend to adhere to grammar rules online. I guess it's because they're much less willing to throw grammar rules to the wind. Spelling also has something to do with this characteristic, but to a lesser extent.

The second characteristic relates to the complexity of the sentences. The more complex the sentences, usually the older the age of the poster/chatter. It's just a general quality I've noticed.

The other characteristic, is the poster's/chatter's ability to have a mature conversation with someone else about a hot topic (like Mac v. PC or democrat v. republican). The more calm they are during debates like this, usually the older they are.

You usually have good grammar and complex sentences, gplex, as well as staying calm almost all of the time. You are willing to have fun online too, which is usually a sign of youthfulness, too. So that's how I assumed you were in your 20s. But as you showed, these characteristics still suck at predicting age. Ah, well. These characteristics really suck at predicting people above 40 or so, too, because there's a definite limit on how much you can adhere to grammar rules.

I must say I'm usually one of the exceptions as well, because I find that good grammar and spelling online is VERY conducive to good understanding by other people. That's probably the main reason why people think I'm older than I really am.

Ed could probably tell you how old I am if you ask him :p, since I met him at MWSF in January.

simx, that seemed to be complimenting my maturity so thank you :).

I only stay calm most of the time though :). I'm sure your thinking about a few cough browser cough threads as the exceptions :).

I beleive that age really shouldn't matter when talking to someone, maturity matters more. Unfortunately, there is a lot of age descrimination in the world. Oh well. The web is changing lots of societies conventions and rules, this being one of them.

I second what simX said about your age estimation, 'plex. Well, sort of. I would have estimated younger, but only because I keep getting your face mixed up with BlingBling. (avatar == face in this situation) I do the same thing for real life faces, so don't feel bad.

simX, are you American? I know you're attending Stanford, so I assumed you are. How do you pronounce your first name? Just curious.

Online I prefer to withhold my name and gender as much as possible. The only reason is that I really dislike stereotypes, and online is one of the few places I can go that people don't immediately judge me by appearance. It's not a big secret or anything, I just prefer it to not be an issue.

see i just assume everyone is the same age as i am - lol - unless they're obviously acting older or younger. ah well... I was definitely surprised w/ a few ages here, but as everyone has agreed, it really doesn't matter - all that does matter is maturity.

Originally posted by nkuvu
I second what simX said about your age estimation, 'plex. Well, sort of. I would have estimated younger, but only because I keep getting your face mixed up with BlingBling. (avatar == face in this situation) I do the same thing for real life faces, so don't feel bad.

Usually avatars don't affect my image of somebody, unless they have a really cool or really juvenile one.

simX, are you American? I know you're attending Stanford, so I assumed you are. How do you pronounce your first name? Just curious.

Yeah, I'm American, whatever that is. Not really proud of it, though, given the current situation our country is in.

Anyway, my name is Italian, spelled "Simone". So you pronounce it "see-moh-nay". It's not quite like that, though. I guess you would say those syllables, but not finishing them. Just say them, but just cut off before you finish saying them. So the "ee", the "oh", and the "ay" wouldn't be as long of sounds. Don't say them fast – you have to kind of truncate them so you don't get that change of sound at the end of each syllable. Once you truncate them, then you can say them fast, and that's what my name is supposed to sound like. The accent is on the "moh" syllable, btw.

I could record it and post it here, if you really wanted me to. But then you'd know what my voice sounds like. :p

Online I prefer to withhold my name and gender as much as possible. The only reason is that I really dislike stereotypes, and online is one of the few places I can go that people don't immediately judge me by appearance. It's not a big secret or anything, I just prefer it to not be an issue.

Yeah, I totally agree. But once people get over the initial "shock" of your name/gender/age/voice/appearance, they usually retain the same image, as long as you've been anonymous online for a while.

Originally posted by googolplex
Its strange how many people are in the 11-20 age group. I would think there would be less. I always thought that I was abnormally young for these forums, but it appears that I'm not.

I agree. Your actually a few months older than me.

Mabye more young people visit because you can learn how to use Mac at younger age than Windows.:D

I wonder who the youngest person is here.

I wonder if this generation of "forum posters" will still be posting when they are 90+ and being on IRC and the like. Will we see a full age spectrum on the Internet in a few decades? I would expect so.

the age breakdown is not too surprising...

Possibly the administrator ought to enforce the drinking age in the bar...

simX, if you really feel like posting yourself saying your name, go right ahead. But don't worry about it too much.

One of the things I enjoy about online conversations is that it is very difficult to place stereotypes on who I am. Of course, I could be pigeonholed if I said something like "Windows Rullzzzzz!!!!!!!" (which I am not at all likely to say, just in case anyone was wondering). But the only way that someone can tell anything about me is by how I say what I say. And in my experience, I think that more people tend to listen to what you say online unless they are specifically trying to figure out something about you.

(sigh)

You ever write a long post, only to read over it and realize that it's garbage? I just deleted about three paragraphs because when I re-read them they didn't make any sense, even to me...

Originally posted by xoot
I am 26 and have used macs all my life. :)
I know what you meant, but Macintosh's have only existed since 1984... which is only 18 years.

Certainly there were "Apples" before that, but not "macs".

Originally posted by thisbechuck
15, I think I was 2 when introduced to computers, been on a Mac ever since. Even though I didn't really know how to type at 2, I admired it and managed to get a few electrical shocks... maybe thats why my hair looks the way it does today...
That might also explain why you think it is okay for a 15 year old to have an avatar that says "Get High"...

Do as I say, not as I do!
Cough.. cough

I guess I should say publically that I AM over 18, but I ain't gonna tell you how much so...

Back