• 41-50

• 51-60

• 61-70

• 71-80

• 81-90

• 91-100+

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wow, do I feel old!

Hey! All you well spoken teens here on the boards, can you come to my school and teach my students how to communicate?

If I had students as bright as you guys seem to be, I wouldn't be turning gray already!

ebolag, I think this forum lends itself to younger people who know how to communicate. It just seems that this forum is very intellegent overall. Thats just what I've noticed.

Originally posted by googolplex
ebolag, I think this forum lends itself to younger people who know how to communicate. It just seems that this forum is very intellegent overall. Thats just what I've noticed.

young people that know how to comunicate? is that an oxymoron?

LOL!

FWIW, I am 26 =) Not so young anymore, eh? But quite young for a college professor, huh? So I'm riding the "only xx years old?" wave for a little more.

On the other hand, I have been using Macs since 1989, so that would be 14 years more or less.

dani++

Originally posted by vic

young people that know how to comunicate? is that an oxymoron?

Oh dear, are you sure you're a Mac user? You aren't thinking differently? :D

We are only able to communicate well because we use Macintoshes, rather than wintels.

But seriously, I think you'd be surprised at the maturity levels of some of us teenagers. Sure, we can seem over the top and dumb when we're in public... or at least I do :D... but when I need to, I can raise my maturity level.

I think most people have this kind of a 'movable' maturity level.

Can you come over here and lossen the vice on my students "moveable maturity" level. Maybe there is no one in my school who is the least bit interested in is going on in life. I mean, I have a great relationship with most of my students, some of them actually have called me "cool" or something equivalent. But when it comes to the subjects at hand, life even, they just check out. I'm beginning to think itis unique to this area because none of my students at a school in another state were like this. They were more like you guys.

Go figure!

I think some young people give all young people a hard time. People in society have a tendancy to think that young people are stupid and will just cause problems. Often I see 'age descrimination' because of this.

For example, I went into a restaurant the other day with a few friends for dinner. The whole place was empty except for one couple eating in there (it was kind of early) and they sat us at the back and were really inconsiderate of us. They probably saw us (particularly the one girl's somewhat unconformist appearance) and expected trouble so they treated us with disrespect. Anyways it appears that this is not the case online and even more so on here.

Which is good :).

I agree. I wouldn't be a teacher if I didn't think that young people can be intelligent and successful. I just miss being able to have an intelligent conversation with someone below the age of 18 who is not a Mac user in a forum.

Take yourself, googolplex, for instance. I've read many of your posts, and your grasp of grammar and composition is far above any os my students. And it's not just because they are in "teen culture" mode that they have poor vocabulary. When I stand before a class and use words you frequently use in your posts, my students will raise their hand and say, "what does that word mean?"

Oh, well. South Carolina is usually ranked in last place on most standardized tests. Thank you guys for being intelligent, and choosing to use that intelligence. Even beyond that, you are using your knowledge many times here to help others without expecting anything in return. You restore my faith in youth.

Alright. End of somewhat off topic rant.

I see some compliments in there, so thank you :).

I think lots of young people think its cool to act stupid and think that if they have an good conversation with someone they aren't 'cool'. They may not be cool in the eyes of the 'cool' people (who aren't really cool, they are only cool in their own mind) but that doesn't really matter in the end.

Yeah I'm ranting off topic too :)

Originally posted by ebolag4
I agree. I wouldn't be a teacher if I didn't think that young people can be intelligent and successful. I just miss being able to have an intelligent conversation with someone below the age of 18 who is not a Mac user in a forum.

Take yourself, googolplex, for instance. I've read many of your posts, and your grasp of grammar and composition is far above any os my students. And it's not just because they are in "teen culture" mode that they have poor vocabulary. When I stand before a class and use words you frequently use in your posts, my students will raise their hand and say, "what does that word mean?"

Oh, well. South Carolina is usually ranked in last place on most standardized tests. Thank you guys for being intelligent, and choosing to use that intelligence. Even beyond that, you are using your knowledge many times here to help others without expecting anything in return. You restore my faith in youth.

Alright. End of somewhat off topic rant.

that;s just beause of Omniwebs built in spell checker ;)

obviously i'm not using Omniweb i'm using explorer, which would also prove how microsoft products decrease intelligence ;)

That must be the problem. None of my students are Mac users!

I had one that I converted to Mac, but he went back to the dark side after graduation. There is hope though. When I came to this school, they did not have a single Mac. Now, half of my lab is Mac based.

We now return you to the topic, "What's YOUR age?"

I do feel that a lot of teenagers are certainly a lot more intelligent than you'd first expect. I myself am still young (15 if it got lost in all the other posts), so I guess it all applies to me as well :) Many people have come to expect kids to simply not know what's really happening around them, and I'd LOVE to disagree with that (because I don't want to believe it's true and also because there's that good old teenage rebellion goin' on :)), but the sad thing is that I see that with my own eyes. There are many very smart teenagers, but there are also still far, far too many people who simply don't want or need to understand society and the world that's brushing by them. I guess there will always be the "bottom rung" when it comes to language and grammar--but why should it be half of the population?

Adults seem to always say that I'm a genius, and I don't really know what to think when I hear that... maybe I am at communicating and generalized creativity, but I certainly don't think I'm good at math or science... so in terms of the traditional education-oriented approach it just doesn't seem like I'm all that smart. I think the problem is that schools are training people to be analytical and consistent, neither of which is a bad thing, but at the cost of excluding every other useful personality trait it makes the whole thing a lot worse. Everyone who simply passes the tests passes school, and so when you're all done with school, who are you? A person who passed tests. Yes, we need some people like that, but we also need people who have discovered the world on their own outside of the 8-to-3 class day.

I just think we need to work on establishing genuine INTEREST in life. That, more than anything else, is what I think is wrong with the country, honestly.

vic said:
that;s just beause of Omniwebs built in spell checker

and

obviously i'm not using Omniweb i'm using explorer
Spell checkers do not good grammar make.

Check I spelling and point good a make I cannot though even words there are all.

Love,
Yoda.

;)

Fantastic analysis bluefusion!

Can you distill that viewpoint and bottle it up for me. I know some folks, young and old, who could use a dose.

I am proud to be a fellow member with you and the many other intelligent thinking individuals here. You prove to me that "teenager" should only refer to age, not be a label of what society expects you to be. Thank you for breaking that stereotype, even when the vast majority has chosen not to.

Well.....

<resuming stereotypical teenager dialogue>

Hehe well, like, OK, right? Yeah, like, cool. Like, wow. Like, thanks dude. Yeah.

</stopping stereotypical teenager dialogue because I can't even stand to type it>

Anyway, thanks for... liking my analysis of society, I guess... In all my short little life, I've never really learned how to take a compliment, lol. Oh, well. In any case, thanks...

Now, how do I go about distilling this...? :) And should I send it FedEx or UPS? PO Box or home address? Paper or plastic? :) Hehe

Back