Which browser do you use for primary?

Which web browser do you use for primary?

• Internet Explorer 5.2

• Mozilla 1.x

• Netscape 6.x/7 PR

• Chimera 0.x

• iCab

• OmniWeb 4.x

• Others (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Toast, I saw your post before you edited it, but I couldn't reply. There was no need to edit it. I may have stepped out of line :).

I aggree that the W3C is hopefull and most of the stuff they recommend isn't plausable for developers, because most users couldn't see it. However, developers should try and code to some level of standards. If you code to HTML 4 transitional both IE and Mozilla should support what you have done. Which is great. :)

Anyways, I shouldn't be complaining, since recently things have been looking very good. WE have lots of alternative browsers emerging and many are very good. Using Mozilla or a Mozilla variant (chimera etc.) I have very rarely run into a page that it can't handle. Which means developers are doing a good job.

I was asked to edit it, googol, that's why it was edited. I didn't find it offensive at all, someone else did, I obeyed. :) Bad times, hm ?

I must support on this point: Mozilla is making good job of web pages. Its variant I'm *always* advertising for (without being paid ;) ), that's CHIMERA, is really fast and I never crossed a page it didn't handle as far as HTML is concerned.

It seems that you are being sarcastic, but I'll respond to that anyways.

The engine in chimera isn't beta its Mozilla. So designing sites for it is very smart.

The Chimera is making improvements to the gecko rending engine in their browsers so technically it is beta.

I was kidding about the crap.

Hey -
I saw some talk about flash?

I've made a benchmark app(still in the works, but it's ok) that tests the performance of the flash player. The latest mac player (MAC 6,0,39,0) is still in beta, but there are some improvements.

I've done plenty of tests on my powerbook, but it's a wallstreet, getting older. So I wanted to get some numbers for some of the fastest macs available. Especially those with fast graphics cards. I have 2 versions of the test, 1 running at 21fps and another at 20fps, the second being the better test I believe.

Here are the links:
Test1: (21 fps)
http://www.conciousriddims.com/flashtester/

Test2: (20 fps)
http://www.conciousriddims.com/flashtester/index2.html

If you take the time to run them, or even one of them, post the results here, along with your os (9, 10.x), browser and system specs.

For comparison, my latest tests:

Celeron 600mhz, 120megs ram, winXP, 8megs vram
Test2 - ie6:
high quality: 16.364@17.355fps

Powerbook G3 300mhz, 160megs ram, os10.1.5, 2megs vram
Test2 - ie5.2:
high: 33.102 secs @ 8.5795fps

I have recently switched to Chimera from IE on account of the "aqua-ness" "lack-of-M$ness" and Tabbed browsing, among other things. I LOVE IT. I can't go back... I won't...

You might not have seen me for a while but I'm BACKK!!!! & using AOL.....

so that concludes the fact............

*drumroll please*

I USE NETSCAPE FOR PRIMARY!!!!!

OmniWeb! It may not be the most feature-full browser but at least it is Mac-only and the way it draws the sites is AWESOME...

But when all said and done at the Mac side and someone MUST use a PC then the best is Mozilla...

However, at the Mac side of the Force there can be only one: OmniWeb!

Support OmniWeb or deal with IE, Mozilla, Chimera, Netscape crap...

Maybe just for few sites you need to use IE just for compatibility problems (but this is hardly a surprise after all is a M$ app which one way or another force companies to comply to their standards) but then SWITCH back to OmniWeb... Chimera maybe fast but I prefer good looks, ease of use and stability anytime over speed, speed and only speed that Chimera offers! Mozilla and Netscape can be seen as alternatives to IE easily ( they are faster, better lookers, more secure ;) ) but next to OmniWeb they pale, get sick and then die ;)

OminWeb, OmniWeb, OmniWeb, OmniWeb.1 is the best there is!

OmniWeb is a joke. I've tried to use there last two releases and other than it's continuity with the Aqua GUI, everything else is just crap.

Flash support is crap. No tabbed browsing, ad blocking support, email client and much much more. It loads web pages slow, some distorted and some not at all.

Maybe I just do more with my computers than the average person but I am very critical of both hardware and software, especially web browsers.

Calling OmniWeb crap is a little harsh but for what I'd use it for, it just plain don't work.

I like IE in Windows but despise it in OS X. After using tabbed browsing and ad pop-up blocking in Mozilla, using any other browers comes at the expensive of my productivity.

Originally posted by azosx
Flash support is crap. No tabbed browsing, ad blocking support, email client and much much more. It loads web pages slow, some distorted and some not at all.

Look harder. OmniWeb does indeed have ad blocking. Though, I recommend using your hosts/NetInfo to block them on a system level, pointing them to 127.0.0.1.

Maybe it was mentioned here, but I played again for the first time with Chimera last night, version 0.4, and finally Java doesn't crash it! Finally looking more promising. :)

Thanks Hazmat! Of course OmniWeb supports Ad Blocking!!! Other than this I wrote previously:
"...OmniWeb! It may not be the most feature-full browser..."
And then Azosx you went on and wrote all those features (or some of them) that OmniWeb lacks...

However:
-Flash & Tabs: Maybe in the next version of OmniWeb?
-Email client: Mail.app is just fine for the majority of users... Only Mozilla/Netscape have email capabilities built-in and many other stuff that IE offers if and when you get Outlook Express which of course is NOT IE's email client but it can work with ANY other browser. As for Chimera it does not include an email app so why OmniWeb must offer you one? And to take it even further why ANY browser offers you an email client? Oh, I forgot: They call it BloatWare... Also, Mail.app runs circles in ease of use area when you compare it with OE and Netscape/Mozilla email apps...
-Slow: Maybe OmniWeb is slower but at least what it draws makes other browsers pale, sick and die next to it! Distorted or non displayed pages can be found in any single browser: IE, Chimera, Mozilla, Netscape, et al. they all have their wrong displayed if not displayed at all web sites... That's what M$ wanted in the first place, remember (this page is best viewed with IE ver.x.x.x)? That's another reason to use (especially if one uses a Mac) ANY other browser except IE ;)
-As you, azosx, already said the OmniWeb is the BEST Aqua-compliant browser and if I am not mistaken one of the reasons that someone prefers a Mac in the first place is to have the ability to let other primitive GUIs and their apps die in their misery

Also, one other note: OmniWeb is just version 4.1... Wait till it gets in version 5, 6 or 7 just like some other browsers... I'm sure that it will rock a Surfer's heart out! Mozilla and Chimera while they say that are version 1.x.x or 0.x.x they actually are something like more version 6 or 7 of Netscape but only lighter, faster, boosted if you prefer for speed, speed and speed again...

Support OmniWeb and make it a better browser by using it and if you can, by buying licenses for you, your friends or your family :)

When all said and done Chimera looks promising and yes it can surf well but I think that, we the Mac users, have to make a choice which will make our loving Mac platform a better place and that choice while it seems that can be Mozilla, Netscape and Chimera, actually there is only one: OmniWeb! Support OmniWeb and OmniWeb alone and when you absolutely cannot surf otherwise just for that page, use even IE... But then ASAP, return and start using OmniWeb!

Oh and one other thing: Anyone can call anything a crap as long as he/she can support his/her opinion and even when he/she cannot that's fine: That's why they call it "My opinion". Remember politics and lawyers (or in a movie they said liars --he, he) can take you to the moon, Mars or even further but they will not make your world a better place ;)

Well, my clear opinion is:
-OmniWeb surfs
-Netscape crashes
-Mozilla tabs
-Chimera gets speed tickets
-IE gives you security holes, viruses and worst of all M$ :) :p :D ;)

OmniWeb, OmniWeb, OmniWeb, OmniWeb.1 rulez!

I use IE 5.2 on my Mac at home, at work I must use IE 4.5 through 6, Mozilla 1.0 and Netscape 4.5 through 6.2, we make websites, the compatibility is very important..

I noticed this:

IE and Mozilla (Netscape 6 also, maybe also Chimera) are the best, because they support most of the w3c features, and the DOM, that is very important in modern javascripts.
Opera, OmniWeb and things like that don't support CSS basics features and do not implement DOM (go to www.w3.org and learn more).

Also, IE is very fast to me, but not Mozilla, it's too skin-java-javascript dependent...

Bye bye

Chimera surfs at incredible speed, downloads fine, blocks my unrequested windows and handles Flash/Java/CSS. It also tabs the browsing. What's missing ? Security maybe, though I don't want any (it would slow down the whole thing).

Jeez...it's only a browser not the end of the world...everybody has his/hers priorities about what a browser should be or can do. Some people love tabbed browsing..others don't. That's not a good reason to kill a non tabbing browser which some people like now is it? Some folks prefer speedy browsing and downloading...some don't. I ask you what's a fast browser without a SCROLL MOUSE?? As long as an app/broswer/whatever dosesn't crash me it works for me..sometimes i use OmniWeb sometimes I Use Mozilla or sometimes I use IE 5.2 (YES I DO..even when I hate MS but it works!! That's the key!) Why hang on to (or support or love or whatever) just one app that crashes/not finished/not completly shows the content of a webpage only 4 the reason it's not MS,AOL or blalblabla...???:confused:

i guess since july quite a few could have changed their prefernce. i used IE and OW sometimes, now 95 % chimera. should we need a new poll? :D

I "switched" to Chimera for awhile and loved the tabbed browsing and speed, but the lack of an auto-form-fill feature drove me to look into omni-web, used that for a bit and noticed it was very S-L-O-W. So now I back in IE where I started.

Back