Which browser do you use for primary?

Which web browser do you use for primary?

• Internet Explorer 5.2

• Mozilla 1.x

• Netscape 6.x/7 PR

• Chimera 0.x

• iCab

• OmniWeb 4.x

• Others (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Originally posted by xaqintosh
What is Tabbed Browsing? does IE use Tabbed Browsing? which Browsers Do?

Tabbed browsing is where you have the option of clicking on a link and creating a seperate viewing page for it within the same window you are in at the moment. (you can view new pages in their own window without having a bunch of new windows open)

It creates a tab of the page you want to view and then you can switch between pages by clicking on different tabs.

I know that mozilla and chimera (navigator) have tabbed browsing...IE doesn't, and neither does OmniWeb

Where does it say either of them work at Netscape?

They seem to only put-down Netscape.

If in fact they do work for Netscape, there went Ed's theory that AOL money is used for corruption.

I don't think if AOL was hellbent on browser domination, they'd let engineers go work on other Open Source projects that stand to steal the thunder away from their "beloved" Netscape.

In fact, I think AOL would just as soon seen Netscape die again and hopefully take Mozilla with it.

Well I hate to say it but I have giving up netscape cause it simply sucks. I'm now using IE (unfortunately :( ) but it's a much better browser. Maybe I should try few others as IE sometimes quitte under OS X.

Not to mention that the new msn messenger has crashed my os x on its very first install. Damn microsoft.

Nothing is "wrong" with Chimera, it's just not stable enough.

You can't really download with it either and it's plugin support is kind of sketchy.

I wouldn't advise someone who was complaining about IE crashing to go tryout betaware.

Chimera crashes a lot, certainly more than any of the others in the poll.

It's only at 0.3 though, so it certainly has a ways to go.

On a scale of 1-5 from a standpoint of useablility, Chimera gets a -2, but, in terms of potential it definitely gets a 10.

Hey, I'm not the one who complained about IE - it's stable here, at home, just as Chimera is. NEVER crashed Chimee. In fact, I never crashed my two browsers. I crashed those I tested and then trashed - Opera, Omni, Moz, and iCab.

The download ——_handle it with Speed Download, you'll go faster than a bormal browser.
The plug-ins —— You are right. I'm waiting for Chim. to handle only Flash, though, Java is not a priority.

All right, all right boys, don't fight on this particular small issue. I shall keep on using IE, so this matter is now settled. Unless, apple decides to develop its own Browser and it's own Office suite so that we completely give up "bloody" MS.

They've already started with iChat for the coming version of os x (jaguar code), why not an "isurf" for a browser and an "ioffice" for an office suite?

Cheers

I think Apple will wait for the end of the actual browser war, where technologies evolve fast thanx to competitivity, before writing iSurf.

In fact, Chimera would integrate perfectly the Apple iApplications. Just a few GUI things to draw again.

I'm waiting for iOffice. REALLY. I want a text processor that can read .doc, .rtf and .txt, no more. With style sheets and a good font management, that's all. The rest is Quark's job.

Finally, a last request: iPhotoshop ;).

Where do you live? I'll come over and crash Chimera for you in 12 seconds or less, guaranteed! :)

I can also give you webpages that will crash Chimera instantly if you're interested.

I just find it impossible to believe Chimera has never crashed for you. You can admit it, it'll be ok. We wont think any less of Chimera or your opinion if you do. :p

Mozilla has crashed for me before! Look, there, I said it. Whew.

As for speed download, I don't download a web browser just so I can download other apps to get the whole browser "effect." It's beyond me that downloading wasn't the first thing implemented in Chimera.

Nevertheless, I think your support for Chimera is great, but you could certainly be doing more harm then good to the project by telling people to switch to it when it's far from ready for primetime.

Most people not knowing would download Chimera, have it crash once or twice within the first few hours, not beable to download, view flash sites or java and declare that it sucks.

To sum it up, it's certainly no replacement for someone who's using IE, Netscape, Mozilla, OmniWeb, Opera or iCab as their primary browser.

I would use Chimera a lot more if it could just download properly.

As for an Apple iBrowser, it would seem as the next logical step in Apple's iApp suite.

An iOffice app though is very unlikely. iApps are free, Office suites of any functionality typically are not. Though OpenOffice is starting to prove me wrong.

That would be a dream if OpenOffice could directly compete with MS and force them to lower the price of MS Office or even make it free.

MS did it to Netscape so hey, it could happen! McWooooooooooorld! Yeah!

You can download with chimera. You control click or right click and say save file as. Or you option click on the link. They just haven't got the code in to recognize if it is a download. Just make sure all of you know that.

But, yes, unless you are willing to put up with betaness Chimera is not for you.

You can download with chimera. You control click or right click and say save file as. Or you option click on the link.

This only applies if the download link references the actual file you are trying to download.

Most download links now-a-day don't work this way. You are put on a wait query while the file is accessed from the first available mirror. In this case, you'd only download whatever script they are using to implement this.

Originally posted by azosx
Where do you live? I'll come over and crash Chimera for you in 12 seconds or less, guaranteed! :)

Well, I browse this forum, desktoppublishing.com forums, adobe and quark forums, as well as dozens of sites every day without crashing ChiM. Nevertheless, I believe some pages are condemned to crash under ChiM. Just give the address to make your statement valuable please.

I just find it impossible to believe Chimera has never crashed for you.
I tell you: Chim. never crashed here, at my place, Toast's place, Grenoble, France, Alps.

As for speed download, I don't download a web browser just so I can download other apps to get the whole browser "effect." It's beyond me that downloading wasn't the first thing implemented in Chimera.
I like the Unix philosophy that says one application does one thing, only one, but it does it well. Chimera browses very well. Speed Download downloads very well. Mail mails very well. OmniWeb and Mozilla crash very well :D.

Nevertheless, I think your support for Chimera is great, but you could certainly be doing more harm then good to the project by telling people to switch to it when it's far from ready for primetime.
I don't take people for idiots, everyone is able to realize Chim. is not a finished product.

Anyway, Chimera still opens this page faster than any other browser. That's my point. ;)

While I will admint IE is probably not the best as far as quality of product, speed, and interface go, it IS the best to use for me.

These other browsers are all great and on their way to becoming fantastic - but none of them are there yet. I mean, if it's not one thing, it's another. One loads and runs incredibly fast - but can't do css, or perhaps one has incredible configuration options, but crashes alot. None of these have all the fuctionality that IE has. And none of them have the single most important thing that IE has.

Users.

I'm not joking - almost 80%-90% of web surfers are using some form of IE. Look at any web logs out there. As a professional web developer, i really admire what the other browsers are doing, but it is *way* to much a hassel to run one browser for myself cause it's faster, nicer, or whatever, while I have to run IE for the clients sites I am building testing.

All in all, once these others are up to par with rendering, speed, ease of use, interface, and compatibility (css, java, javascript, flash, quicktime, real, downloading, etc, etc) then I will probably be one of the first people to jump on their wagon and be yelling for others to do so as well.

My 2cents.

If anybody should be supporting mozilla it should be web developers. Mozilla has the best support of everything except MSHTML and if you dissaggree with me on that you should really do some research. Code to standards and nobody has the right to complain.

A web developer who doesn't code to standards is a bad developer and shouldn't be one.

if you dissaggree with me on that you should really do some research

A web developer who doesn't code to standards is a bad developer and shouldn't be one.

I can't see what you're bringing to the community with this kind of (useless) remarks.

#EDIT# Sorry for it.

googolplex,

A standard, while being defined by a hopeful W3C, doesn't become one until it is accepted and used by the majority of users. Right now that majority is using IE and that makes it the standard - whether you like it or not - and so that's what I develop towards.

Besides - if we really wanted to be a completely standards compliant developers, we'd probably end up using three tags, P, B, and I - cause those are probably the only three that all the browsers can agree on. ;)

Back