10.3.5 (Complete Thread)

The student discount is $200 off

just curious: People have said that 10.3.5 will coincide with the shipping of dual 2.5 G5's, but if you go to the Apple store online, and add a dual 2.5 G5 to your basket, it says shipping in 4-6 weeks

If you read through this thread, you can also see that 10.3.5 is not directly connected to the dual 2.5 GHz machines, as it seems.

MBHockey said:
The student discount is $200 off

just curious: People have said that 10.3.5 will coincide with the shipping of dual 2.5 G5's, but if you go to the Apple store online, and add a dual 2.5 G5 to your basket, it says shipping in 4-6 weeks
Actually, the student discount is 20%, just like the other hardware discounts. The only catch is that a student can only use it once.

I read the discount varies from hardware to hardware. Professional items such as powerbooks and powermacs are higher discounted then the commercial ones such as ibook and iMac.

Zammy-Sam said:
I read the discount varies from hardware to hardware. Professional items such as powerbooks and powermacs are higher discounted then the commercial ones such as ibook and iMac.
It varies because it is a percentage. 20% of 2000$ is more than 20% of 1000$. The ADC hardware discount is ~20% on the item, and I have not seen the percentage vary (the difference between the programs is the number of ADC hardware discounts you get per year, or in the case of students, one single discount per person). As a student developer who was originally looking into getting a system using the ADC discount before my college job decided I wasn't needed anymore, I checked it out in detail. ;)

Checked the situation in germany and the percentage varies from 10-16%. As I mentioned above, there is a higher discount on poweritems. This is not fair. Not that we need to pay 99€, which is $122, we also get less discount. X( pfffff

That's nothing compared to the netherlands here
we get 6-8% discount
also 8% for the poweritems
and 6% for the others (emac, imac & ibook)
speaking of unfair

fryke said:
10-16% off hardware might still be more than 99€, so don't whine. :p
I can get much greater discount when I buy from a non-Apple Store, but that's not why Apple invented the ADC membership for students.

That's the point: the ADC was created to help people develop on Mac.

fryke said:
Safari 1.3 is not part of 10.3.5. Not in the beta builds at least, Safari is a separate package.
I read on spymac that Safari 1.3 Beta is included in the 10.3.5 update. Is this false?

Safari 1.3 is quite definitely _not_ part of 10.3.5 - at least so far, as this might change in future builds. Right now, updating to a build of 10.3.5 removes any prior installation of Safari 1.3 Beta. Safari 1.2.3, included with 10.3.5, crashes if 1.3 Beta was previously installed. Then you can either remove all your Safari prefs to get 1.2.3 to run again - or reinstall the 1.3 Beta (which I do).

I expect Safari 1.3 to ship later this year - there was no further beta release after the initial one, while I expect 10.3.5 to be wrapped up this week or the next. (I have no idea whether Steve Jobs' month off will have any influence on such a release, though...)

Ooooh, just thought of this... Anyone know if 10.3.5 fixes the bug in Apple's DVD Player, which causes artifacts during playback? I think it only affects certain graphics cards, such as the Radeon 9800, and other applications capable of playing DVDs, such as VLC, seem fine under 10.3.4.

Can't test that hardware, but new ATi drivers are in the 10.3.5 builds. So it just _might_ be...

Hmm...sorry i'm jsut really confused, i guess those guys at spymac were just talking out of their arse ;)

So Safari 1.3 beta is *only* part of the Tiger pre-relase (at the moment?).

(is this how you have had it installed?)

thanks

Nope. Tiger has Safari 2.0. Safari 1.3 has no RSS support or anything like that - it's just an update, basically, with small changes in the interface and bigger ones in the code handling. Safari 1.3 Beta is a separate seed separate from both 10.3.5 and 10.4 seeds.

Apple has seeded Mac OS X 10.3.5 7M30. Safari 1.3 still not included - and by now I don't expect it to be in the final version.

I think Fryke's implying pretty clearly that Safari will be a separate release which will be released via Software Update on its own.

On topic, Fryke, is the newer release more stable? Is it suitable for public release?

Back