10.5 First impressions - post yours

Okay, after it took four days to receive my overnight delivery from Apple, sent through FedEx, I finally got my copy of Leopard.

After reading about all the issues with installation, it seemed to me that Leopard was not so much unpredictably buggy as it was more predictably incompatible with certain 3rd party software. (Unlike Windoughs, which is often incompatible with Microsloth drivers and apps)

So, I backed up everything of importance, then did a complete erase and clean install.

No problems, no issues at all. It runs smooth and fast - and it feels a bit snappier than Tiger did on my Powerbook G4. 1.5GHz, 1.25GB Ram, 60GB hd.

I'm having the problem of being unable to install Leopard. It wont find the hard drive when I go to install it.

2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook...main drive is formatted as GUID. I have no clue why it isnt recognizing the drive.

You might want to try formating the drive from Disk Utility again, if you have nothing on the drive. Some installers require a previous Tiger installation - is this the case, or do you have the retail version?

I'm up to date on my Tiger installation, currently running 10.4.10. If need be, I can reformat the drive, but thats really the last thing I want to do, I'll have to back up about 50gb worth of music and other stuff.

You should first try testing the drive with Disk Utility, which you can find in the Utilities menu at the first screen of the installer. (Do the Repair Disk, and not the Repair Disk Permissions - then quit Disk Utility to return to the installer). This seems to often bring the drive back into view (somehow)

No luck. It wont even give me the ability to do repair disk, repair permissions, verify permissions...nothing.

This is the only one I have. Nobody has any idea why a essentially brand new computer is giving me this problem?

Thanks so much. I'm gonna try the things that you've recommended, and those in that link you sent me to. Hopefully this will fix it. I'll let you know

At last, I am now Leopardised.

It is difficult for me to comment on performance, as I have just switched to a new Mac Mini from my old G4 800 MHz (which has been temporarily put out to graze).

I have a few grumbles.

• The Dock behaves oddly.
  • There is still no easy way to lock the dock.
  • IMHO the eye candy is a bit tacky (of course beauty lies in the eye of the beholder).
  • I don't think the Finder is that greatly improved.
  • Stacks seems a bit gimmicky. It also now prevents me directly accessing files and programmes without having to open the Finder (which I could do under Tiger).
I do like Time Machine though.

[ The odd dock behaviour: Features. Stacks work like that. Your home folder shows as an application folder because the application folder insider your home folder is alphabetically first. You can solve that by putting an icon there you like and call it aaa.jpg or something. :) ]

[ The odd dock behaviour: Features. Stacks work like that. Your home folder shows as an application folder because the application folder insider your home folder is alphabetically first. You can solve that by putting an icon there you like and call it aaa.jpg or something. :) ]
Right, I see. Thanks.

Looks good but....

No longer recognised airport utility, lost all printer settings, functionality within pdf search not as good as tiger, can't move stacked files in bulk to different location. When reinstalled all printers it could not default correctly from print icon (came up with different name and did not print).

It's early days though- I've only played for an hour so far (should have booked a week off), I'm sure I will overcome these hurdles as apple does not do 'degeneration'.

Back