A Mess O' Trouble (old mac game)

tossinsparks

Registered
Does anyone remember playing this game from world builder? I dug it out a few days ago and started playing it again, and I need help lol!!

Maybe explain exactly what you need help with -- that may get you more responses if someone is familiar with the exact portion you need help with.

On the record, I have never played that game. Just trying to offer suggestions that may get you more replies.

Well, I have to find the little big horn to give to someone named Bermuda Shorts...yes that only makes sense if you've played the game lol

Well, I have to find the little big horn to give to someone named Bermuda Shorts...yes that only makes sense if you've played the game lol

May be too late to post, but I also recall playing this game when I was younger and recently started playing it again...

I'm not sure how to get the horn, but recall Bermuda Shorts suggesting it was in the Faerie Queen world--I have yet to find it, but still haven't found anything to go in that square in that world or what the raft is for.

I also need to find a relay to fix the elevator in the main tower in the ruins.

...need to figure out how to get through the ghoulbats (I recall being told in the game at one point, but don't recall how or know if I have the right item(s). Also, how to open the chest that is dug up near the monument (someone in the game mentions keys in the ruins that open chests :/)

There are numerous things in the voidbeast world I have yet to figure out: What to do in the dome building, what the square recess is for in the room with two oval doors, what goes in the slot at the north end of the voidbeast, how to get the bio-door open (I can get it to say the hair fits, but doesn't have the right grooves...not sure if it's supposed to be cut by something eventually).

I've done a lot, but still have a lot of loose ends I'm aware of. I could likely help with some things if someone reading this is looking for help.

EDIT: (possible spoiler): I've now found that you eat some leaves in the ruins/highlands area to get past the ghoulbats...that has already led to the relay I had been looking for.

Would be interesting to know if anyone else plays this game nowadays--it really is a top-notch game IMO.

Last edited:
i have just about the exact questions as you do...

i too just recently re busted out this game and am loving it! however i am totally stumped. I am going to try eating the leaves for the bats but other than that I think I can only sympathize and not help, but keep me updated and I will do the same.

Thanks
JON

/\ Glad to see that someone else is playing this game :)

Getting past the ghoulbats practically opened up another world of things to do after getting the good relay to use on the elevator.

I've noticed that the Mytes that were on the voidbeast hairs have disappeared from my game, and I'm unsure why. It recently came to mind that I should have tried using the hair there to get them to crawl on it (perhaps biting the proper grooves in it to open the gate), but again, I didn't see them the last time I was there :/ Perhaps something controls whether they are there or not, or perhaps something got messed up (hope not). Even if they didn't do that, I figure they must have served some purpose that I hope doesn't keep me from completing the game... Perhaps I'll go back to an older save file to give it a shot if I can't get them to come back.

Otherwise, I noticed that when you sleep at the Hard Rock Inn, it shows two different patterns on the 6 windows while you sleep (different ones lit up). I marked them down and tried the possible combinations in that first building in the voidbeast realm (the one with the cubed recess in the panel and 6 buttons [7 with the input/reset button]). Nothing worked, but I don't know what goes in the hole to use the panel (I hoped something would happen anyway =P ). I suppose it's still possible they are linked...

Still have yet to find the Master Vet, but don't recall exactly what I was told about him :/ I wish this game had some sort of journal feature that automatically recorded important things like that...

Thanks for the tips, I hadn't noticed the windows. I was going to check the inn later. I tried to take the keypad out of the front door and put it into the second door but no luck.

I am very stuck, but I have been consuming my time making maps, trying different unstable doors, and searching every single frame.
I'll let you know if I find anything, at this point I think I'm willing to take help.

Please do the same if you are so inclined!

BY THE WAY: where did you find a hair? i haven't found one I can cut yet..

Thanks,
JON

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, I hadn't noticed the windows. I was going to check the inn later. I tried to take the keypad out of the front door and put it into the second door but no luck.

I am very stuck, but I have been consuming my time making maps, trying different unstable doors, and searching every single frame.
I'll let you know if I find anything, at this point I think I'm willing to take help.

Please do the same if you are so inclined!

BY THE WAY: where did you find a hair? i haven't found one I can cut yet..

Thanks,
JON

I don't recall the location of the hair you can cut, but once you get an axe (I believe from that world), then you can cut a hair somewhere (the axe breaks afterward, so it's only used for the hair). Shouldn't be too hard to find if you have the axe and keep checking--it's one of the smaller ones...

If you don't have the axe...It's possible the axe came from the treasure chest in a ruined building (accessible at any point)--there is a knob you have to do something with (the instructions were on the outside wall you have to read). Otherwise, I've had the hair awhile now, so details on how I got the axe are blurry.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to play the game some more on Sunday.

I'm surprised there's never been a walkthrough done for this game (I certainly can't find one). Would take quite some time (and likely need good maps to be complete), but nothing that hasn't been done for numerous other games (games that aren't as good as this one...).

cool, I haven't found an axe yet, I'll keep my eyes open..

SO I made epic progress last night and basically finished the fairy realm (little big horn, bermuda triangle, etc). Let me know if you want some help.

hint -->(it has to do with the iceplant and the swamp)<-- hint

i emailed ray because I thought that the platter was supposed to fit in the horn that opens but after that I typed the correct commands to learn that the platter does not fit. I can't figure out where that thing is to go, but maybe whence I find the hair i can combine them.

Otherwise, I got the relay but I can't find the broken elevator. maybe it has to do with the panel I can't read inside the maintenence room in the upper tower.. I don't know.

Anyways, let me know if you need any more help with the triangle, etc.

Guess I'll have to look into what you're talking about with the iceplant and swamp... of course I used the iceplant on the swamp ages ago, so you must mean I have to do something in addition to that. (feel free to write exactly how to find the horn, I'll be content with help on that at this point).

Otherwise, to find the elevator, you have to get to the repair area in the main tower, go left from the repair guy, go down the manhole, pass the area where the water had been rushing (turn the crank near the manhole by moving the table near it [need to use the hoist to get the table free...from the room to the right of the repair guy--he would tell you he can't fix the bad relay and that you'd need to find one]). Then there is another area to open...I believe that involves the panel you're talking about...you'll need to get a rod to open it, and the message may involve some sort of turn/push deal. Again, I'm unsure of all the details. The elevator can be found soon after that (not sure what the P/D/square thing is for in that room yet...).

Oh, and to read the symbols, you'd need to talk to Shek in room 112 of the apartments (lower tower area)...I don't recall who tells you to talk to her (you may need to talk to whomever that is first to get her to answer the door), but she gives you a card that you take to the antiquities area, and they give you a device that translates the symbols.

If Ray is still responding to questions, then at least I know there is somewhere to ask if I get 100% stuck. You'll find a lot to do when you open that elevator though...

oh man thanks for the help I hadn't thought to move a table... it seems like when you have tried EVERYTHING you can think to try there is always some obvious thing you forgot to try..

so you froze the swamp and got the potion i assume, use the potion on the bees, get the honey, give the honey to ursa the bear and he gives you the magic pellets, you use the pellets in the hole in the ground and have to answer the question the elf asks you (answer = mantrog).

At this point you have the horn, give it to bermuda shorts and then play the triangle in front of the princess. She gives you a jeweled teddy bear and and something else that helps you, I already forgot what that is tho :/

I'm gonna try moving that table once i get to that point. Feel like i'm this close to finding out some big advancement in 1904.. have you confused the rednecks with the fake map yet? i was all excited when I got the dial and the combo because I thought I knew where the chest was, but it turns out that i was thinkin of the one in monolith valley. grrr...

thanks for the help, I'll continue to update you if you care to do the same

Ah, never tried the Bernadium pellets (whatever they're called) that I got from the bear. Will try as soon as I play again--thanks for the tip :)

And yes, I'd been through the redneck part already ;) If you haven't found the safe from that part, there is a frame with an empty powder crate thing and some stacked rocked thing (top one has a dot on it or something)...in a dream, a three fingered hand points to it. I think you go "UP" there and then there's a cave with the safe up there...

yea when you examine the hole it magically glows blue, so I figured those pellets were for the hole, I just couldn't convince that bear to give them too me. . .

and I see, I finally figured out to push the top rock to move the lower rock.... sooo mad that all I got was the payroll bonus object, I was sure I was going to get the nuggets to give to the old man in the trailer. Back to square one on that puzzle I guess. .

One more thing, you haven't had any luck getting the elevator working i presume?

geez what a hard game.... at least Ill have something to keep me busy this weekend

Either I got it working, or that's the one that had the panel that pops open above (I believe it's the former)... If you never got that other panel open with the alien writing (and installed the new fuse thing), perhaps that's the issue...

Again, there's a lot to do once you get that elevator working :)

Gold nuggets... I had gotten those and talked to the old man, but don't recall where I found them :/

(possible spoilers, but no solutions given)... Just noting that I've defeated the destroyer and stabilized the sun, in case you'd like any help with those quests...

EDIT: Finally starting to make progress on the Voidbeast realm...went back to one of my old saves to re-read what the vet told me to do...something rather simple I wasn't doing :/

Last edited:
Well, I'm rather stuck on the Voidbeast realm still :/ I'm also confused about what function the hair is supposed to ultimately serve. I've found gears made from the hairs that seem to suggest I'm supposed to slice and cut notches in the one I have (to make another gear to complete the system), but the hair also fits in the bio-door thing, as if it's supposed to have those notches cut in it :/ The "cylinder" sounds like the perfect item to go in there, but I have yet to find a use for it.

I've tried a bunch of ways to get the hair to be cut, but can't figure it out :/

Also, I've only been able to get the one sliced horn open (the one that has the pull lever on the same screen--the other one [lever] still does nothing for me).

Any help on this realm would be appreciated.

Oh, and I had gone back (to a previous save) to see if the mytes would do anything with the hair, but nothing...

Last edited:
i emailed ray because I thought that the platter was supposed to fit in the horn that opens but after that I typed the correct commands to learn that the platter does not fit. I can't figure out where that thing is to go, but maybe whence I find the hair i can combine them.

If what you're referring to is called a "platter" in the game, I don't believe I've gotten such an item. Do you recall how you got it?

Man I wish I had had the foresight to save my game as..periodically... grrr. i saved about two screens from dying of thirst and my game is now f***ed.

I even emailed ray to see if there was a fix for this sort of foolish behavior, and I toldme I was outta luck.

Guess I'm moving on to twisted, (to which I remember I couldn't get past the third frame when I was younger so hopefully my powers of deduction have grown in the last ten years....

as for the platter you can't find, I'm sure you need to combine it with the horn I couldn't find...... alas I have no idea where I found it (although I am pretty sure I found it on the voidbeast). I may actually start the game anew now that I know all the secrets I bet I could catch up in a few hours.

good liuck!

Back