Congrats to Ed Spruiell!!

Is it so bad to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galilieo, and Newton, [and Nummi], and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.

Seize the day.

Death to the Tyrants. (bill gates) I am done now... I need to stay away from that white powder that is sitting on my counter.

racerx, i think your computer has an echo:eek:

I think nummi was really bored this morning. not even i have ever filled up this forum with as many posts as he made. and that is saying a lot!!!!

so how is everyone dealing with the weather this weekend? how many of you guys are surrounded by snow right now? watching the pats and raiders play last nite was almost surreal sitting here in calif. We have have had strange high winds coming from the east but that's about it.

oh nummi, welcome to all these threads, ihope you stick with us. i like your philosophizing. a bit deep for me first thing in the morning but i will reread later and add comments.

chow:cool:

not unless you are gay herve. if you are looking for a man, a tolya would be fine. but i don't think our tolya would be the one. he is far too much of a manly man.:p

ok, i laughed. you can come back and talk now. please make complete sentences or at least intelligible phrases. and move your computer out of that dark canyon that is causing the echo.:D

or do you just have the hiccups?

if so, try drinking a glass of water from the far rim while counting backwards from 50:p

but don't let your computer drink the water.

Sorry, I've been watching Austin Powers (both of them) on my SGI while posting.

Yes... really. :D

don't let your computer drink the water!

Phil, shut your computer down immediately and run for your life. your computer has been taken over by an evil bot intent upon destroying civilization. SAVE YOURSELF!!!

RacerX - erect firewalls now, do not allow Phil's bot to infiltrate!! It claims to be connected to ManicDVLN and Herve. I think we are targets. move your family to a safehouse asap. do not answer the door. It may already be too late for the Admiral. or perhaps he is operating undercover to locate and destroy this evil infestation!!:p

oh, and no need to apologize for watching austin powers. just as long as you return to the real world sometime in the next 24 hrs or so. and i really am a little concerned about AK. After you came back with sad news when you were awol, i am just a bit worried about him. I hate to sound like his mother, but this is so unlike him.
I hope your wife is coping well. I get the feeling you are a very supportive husband which is just what she needs right now. I still send my energy your way each day. Good comedies can certainly be healing. We all need to laugh no matter how bad things seem at times.

uh, sorry for the serious interruption. now back to figuring out how to save Phil and ourselves and the planet and....

reallymy computer prefers coffee.

The Admiral may be taking some time to enjoy his last weekend off. As I recall, he starts up a new semester soon (like in the next week or so) and he had a number of projects he wanted to finish before classes took over his schedule again. Between work, classes and being the main ESTJ here at Press3, everything else takes a back seat during the semester.

good point racerx- being an ESTJ requires a lot from one's self:p

it is a funny thing though, going back to what you said about online friends. i never thought much of the idea until i found this site. and hardcore computer geeks are the next to last group on earth i would have expected to like their company. but i have really come to enjoy the people here. i am not going to list names because i am sure i would leave somebody out and offend them since there are so many people i enjoy interacting with. I don't think it would hurt anybody's feelings to acknowledge that you, Ak and herve are among those i consider friends and would enjoy meeting face to face some day if it were ever possible.
i think part of it is just the level of intelligence - "press 3 to connect with others in the top 3-5% of IQ bell curve" might not make a great advertising slogan but i think it is true.
i am also finding the religion poll interesting. because a group that many might stereotype as being pretty homogenus shows a real diversity of core belief systems. i think this also enhances my fondness for others here. it really is a think different and respect differences environment. it kind of goes back to one of the fundamental differences between Freud and Jung. Freud wanted to treat people to let go of their differences and allow them to 'fit in'. Jung wanted to encourage "individuation" and allow people to feel comfortable with their differences and to fit in by being confident that they didn't need to be like everybody else. Obviously i am more of a jungian. (remember also that the types are derived from Jungian personality classifications:) )

I'd like to hope AK went on a road trip, is having lots of fun which he will report to us when he gets back, and is not working on his projects and ignoring us. see that E makes me think that it is unlikely he is just not visiting the site. it is hard to imagine he could go this long without craving our social stimulation:D

Road trip ?
Heck no! :p
Remember all that talk about nice looking mediterranean girls and the plot I had...it appears that the first batch of candidates found theri way to me this friday night -- have had my hands full all weekend long --- there are still lots of em that want my attention at the moment :p he he he ;-)

Boy how I wish that were true ;-)
Friday night my ISP took a downturn and would not let me log on. I used a non-local university provided number to check my emails but at 26400 you cant do much with forums (especially since I dont pay the phone bill and if my parent saw it they would freak lol).

I took this time to start my german book. I am done with about 200 pages at the moment. I still have more to write though (newton Press just died on me for some reason, and only for my german book --- I hope the file isnt corrupted cause I spend almost 3 days doing nothing but typing lol).

Next week the semester starts, this week the "ribbon cutting" of the new breed of multimedia classrooms at my university and I will have to spend this week training professors on how to use them (lol how the roles have reversed themselves).

Its good to see that the (only?) ESTJ of the forums was missed ;-)

Admiral

Whew, glad you're safe!! Just a small case of being delirious I see:p that is understandable given the weather in your part of the world. However, when girls start knocking on your door and flocking in, we would like to know immediately so that we may send a team of investigators. This would be an extremely rare phenomenon!

you should intentionally forget to inform all the profs about some little commonly used thing. it will give them a chance to look human in front of their class! ( he he )

Tolya, next time you cannot connect to your ISP please alert the media:D

lol :p
Next time I will alert the RacerX press to release a press release for my adoring masses :p

As for the girls -- I am not telling :p they are all mine I tell ya :p

and as for teh profs -- I am telling all cause I dont want people knocking on my door bothering me about stupid things (which will happen since these PhDs ALWAYS forget! -- lol I wonder how they got their PhD :p)

Admiral

now as i remember, theed had 1st dibs on your leftovers.

theed - would you still like one of admiral's imaginary girlfriends?

The profs get their phds by focusing upon the area of their phd and relying upon others to tell them everything else they need to know. Hence you are just another pawn in their little game (he he). And they always forget stuff because they only remember what they are using. new things must be encoded thru repetition and so they will knock on your door repeatedly. But if you really want them to remember, you will leave something out and they will feel stupid when they don't know it, don't remember ever knowing it, and then will never forget it for fear of experiencing that feeling again.:p (of course you insist that it was the first thing you covered right after lunch in which case 50% of them will say that's why they missed it, they were late getting back)

so racerx - you work(ed) for nasa?

I think I will create a "special entrance" for those problems, connect them to electrodes and each time they use that door to bug me about stuff I already told them they get zapped :p he he -- purelly--daemonic ;)

Hey Ed...guess what PhD stands for (or at least a really creative acronym :p)

Press here Dummy ;-)

Admiral

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
so racerx - you work(ed) for nasa?

That depends on how you classify worked for. I (and the others who got appointments at the Geometry Center) were given suggestions as to what we could work on while we were there (we actually didn't have any responsibilities at all, just to do what came naturally). Some of those suggestions came from the people who paid us (the National Science Foundation and the Department of Energy) and included ideas which NASA would have liked us to work on. In the end I worked on a pure math problem that had no application to any real world situation and used none of the vast computer resources they had there :D .

So in short, no. But working for NASA would have been too cool though! (only the problems looked very dull :( )

Back