GMail Invites

I don't know if there will be anything like the Hotmail plug-in for GMail. There are some technical issues that people have to grasp with. Hotmail runs off of a proprietary protocol called HTTP. HTTP itself isn't proprietary, but using it as the basis for the protocol to transport e-mail is. It is also fairly easy to find clients that MS DOES allow to interoperate with Hotmail, giving room for reverse engineering. If MS wouldn't have implemented Hotmail support in such products such as Outlook express, and Outlook, I don't think we would have stuff like the HTTP support protocol for the Mail.app. There is no reason to think that GMail is using HTTP support, and as long as there are no clients that can access GMail without a web browser, I doubt there will be support for it in Mail.app either.

If it was purely a matter of someone writing one, then we'd all ready have one for Yahoo. Yahoo has 5 million more active e-mailers then Hotmail. Yet I haven't seen any solution to getting it to work with Mail.app.

a few weeks ago Google was talking that they may add POP3 access before the public release, but I don't know if that will come to pass.

-James

between my wife and I, we've got 15-20 gmail invites available.
send me an email - quiksan@gmail.com if you want one.
I'll be checking that account 1 or 2 times a day.

first come, first serverd.
Though if any of you want to make me laugh a little in the process, I'd love to see your most CREATIVE reasons for needing/wanting a gmail account. (it's new, and cool to try out, it's more space, it's google, whatever, I know all those reasons)
No, it's not a contest, just a little entertainment for me. :)

DISCLAIMER:
ONLY SEND ME ONE REQUEST PLEASE.
I'm not giving more than one to a person - if you try, I won't give you even 1.
Sorry to mention it here - I'd like to think the MacOSX folks are pretty on the level. I got some people trying to 'scam' me out of multiple invites when I posted on my blog. no more of that! lesson learned.

exactly! why be nice to rude people? give um to personal friends, family members or people in your comunity

Well, I just checked my Spymac mail again, and I continue to get e-mails from the exact same person who was rude, just sending under a different person, just different username. I can tell it's him because he created an e-mail address with gibberish in it from Hotmail trying to get a GMail invitation. The guy pretty much copied and pasted the previous message he sent me asking for another invitations. What the moron fails to realize, is that Hotmail can't get invitations anyways. lol

Here is the new e-mail address he is sending me stuff from.
oiurc kalim <sessessesses@hotmail.com>

I'm tired of dealing with this guy, so if anyone can prove to me that they are flaming, and getting this guy spammed, will get 3 gmail invitations to whatever e-mail address they want.

JetwingX said:
exactly! why be nice to rude people? give um to personal friends, family members or people in your comunity

Everyone I talked to has told me that Hotmail has been blocking the GMail invitations. Yahoo is putting invitations into the Bulk E-mails.

GroundZeroX said:
Everyone I talked to has told me that Hotmail has been blocking the GMail invitations. Yahoo is putting invitations into the Bulk E-mails.
It's hit or miss. ... And I have 3 more to give out.

Back