Herve's Bar & Grill

Just try to be as polite as possible on the phone, yet persuasive enough to get the job done. It's a fine art to talk effectively on the phone, one that's hard to master.

Another thing hard to master is leaving messages. I usually do fine until it comes to ending the message, and I'm left to come up with some way to say bye... but maybe it's just me.

uhmmmm... well... ill see ya there man
ok... and call me back when you get this message...
make sure you dont forget!

hmmmm i never thought how much i should charge..... my dad sort of set it all up for me, and now i just gotta work.

How much you charge at this stage doesn't really matter, Androo, as long as you are being fair to yourself and your clients.

androo - do you just do the design with no pressure to hold up a schedule? working to some kind of fee/dedline/limit is always harder.. i was thinking that people paid you, is that the case or is it more like a hobby? are you practicing and just enjoying it or is it more of a small income?

Do you take weeks to work on a design, or do you hammer it out in about 4 hours and move on to the next? Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages.

I told my client that because i am a kid who is very busy... so he wont get it in a few days, but more like a week or two.

Sounds fair.

Hey, I got a follow-up interview at 'big blue'! :)

I can't really tell you anything about the interview process so far, except to say it was nothing like I had envisaged. It has been fun, challenging and very unusual.

Anyhow, I'll keep you posted on how it works out.

Do they ask you any weird questions? I heard at Microsoft they ask questions with unusual answers to see what kind of thinker you are.

Actually, they give you a few exams, and then do some traditional "team building" exercises with all the candidates. They then break the candidates into teams to do certain tasks, to see how they will perform. Some of the tasks involved Lego, though I can't really say any more than that. :p They also provided bowls of candy (go figure). The individual interview is a little more traditional, though.

IBM interviews in australia are top secret huh? did you have to sign a secrecy contract symphonix? is it common practice to not let an interviewee talk about his interview experience or are you looking to get a high profile job?

Actually, in Australia, the organization known as "IBM" is the equivalent of the CIA, so he can't talk about it at all. ::angel::

Hahahaha...that's all they'd need. Next thing you know, they'd start acting like Microsoft. :p

I can see signing a non-disclosure agreement for an inteview if they tell/show you how things run around there. Otherwise, it just doesn't make any sense.

It does make sense if you understand that some of the exercises are of a psychological double-blind sort of nature. And no, I didn't sign a non-disclosure, but they did ask us to "keep this under your hats, okay" ;-)

Hello Hello Hello my friends!!!!!
The semester is over! I am graduating this week (well...pending the results of my math logic grade...I am keepin' positive though :) )

So how has everyone been? Where's ed???? :)

So you might be wondering where I go from here :)

Well, my current project is to revamp my website, recode it from scratch, give it a new look. I am also working on an operating system family tree, kinda like the unix one http://www.levenez.com/unix/ but with more OSes, and more unices that are not in Eric's tree.

In july I am taking the GMAT so next february I will be going into grad school to get my MBA (get an MBA first with information systems under the belt, then go for the CS masters).

This summer I am auditing elementary chinese courses, and in the fall & spring I am doing intermediate chinese :)

Ed will be happy to know that I have been spending less time online :p -- girlfriend keeping me off the computer lol ;)

I look forward to being back :)

Ed's gone for a little while... he'll be back soon.

With over 5500 posts, Admiral, and not being a mod, I'd say you definitely need to spend less time online. :)

LOL...
well I used to be a mod, (I guess I still am an honorary member of the round table here but I do not have powers;) ) but due to lots of school work, and life work, I cannot spend as much time talking to people here :)

hey admiral! nice to see you here! :D i've spent the last days less time online as well, now happy to be back here... for some weird reason the kids asssume i take no physical space in the mass happenings so fighting them to get my seat free and then to stay 90 minutes on a metallic bench ... yucky. online sweet online... :D

G: LOL, fun stuff.

Admiral: Any chance I could take over your modding duties? :) BTW, I'm serious.

Back