Herve's Bar & Grill

Apparently, I'll be taking helpdesk (PC support) calls from *within* IBM. Scary, eh?

I figure they aren't really one of the evil IT companies. They contribute more to open source than anyone else and they seem to be serious about Linux. They don't have too bad a reputation as far as trouncing their competition, either. And they've been cheated by Microsoft as much as anybody else.

It was kind of funny, though, when they said that I had done "exceptionally well" on my Windows technical knowledge test, and I told them that I had not used Windows in nearly two years. The look on their faces was ... well ... classic.

And on the general knowledge test, when they asked me to name three operating systems, I listed Linux, OS/2 Warp and OS/390 - all OS's that IBM has a significant interest in. ;-)

Anyway, I'll be getting started very soon. In fact, basic orientation is tommorrow.

I'm a little unsure of whether I will try and study part-time to finish my degree, or find some other work to do. I'll be speaking to my career counsellor in a few days to figure that out. (There's a tip for anybody else who can't work out what they're meant to be doing: find yourself a career counsellor!)

Oh, and by the way, WELCOME BACK ADMIRAL!

hey, congrats symphonix!! loooks like ibm can do something right every now and then. :)

tolya - right now i'm still in ohio - will be back in front of my own computer tomorrow afternoon though. i really need to get more work done on my school stuff. i'm moving much too slow as usual.

as for my folks and the darkside - i actually got my stepdad to show some interest in macs the other nite. he finally figured out that he will never be comfortable with windows and finally heard me when i told him macs are so simple that i could help him with everything over the phone. he was also impressed with the fact that an emac only costs about $800 and would do everything he needs as compared to the nearly $2000 they soaked him for to get this Piece (of) Crap. maybe in a couple of years i'll have him convinced to try it.

...I think that's what everyone comes to the conclusion it stands for. :p

Hmm...I dunno, symphonix - you might wanna stay away from talking about *nix stuff there. They're getting sued by whoever it is that owns the actual Unix copyrights over breaches of contract (or something like that). Though maybe IBM isn't taking it seriously. I dunno.

Actually, Darkshadow, there is kind of a funny story behind that... apparently, according to the strictest legal definition, Mac Os X is NOT Unix, but Windows NT/XP is. It is a minor legal thing that, I'm told, is simply a screw-up in the paperwork that they hope to be able to settle pretty easily.

Ed: At least you don't get the sort of PC-support calls I get from my parents. "I was playing solitaire when it started making this Eeeeerrrrrggggmmm noise. Then it went Pop and the screen went blank. I tried to reset it but it just went Grrrrmmmmmffffft." - and they actually expect me to help them fix it over the phone. :p

OS/390 eh? :)
I wish I had info on that :D -- I am in the process of making an Operating system's tree (kinda like the UNIX tree at http://www.levenez.com/unix but it would include almost all known OSes :)

I am just glad school os over for now. Now I am planning my next moves. Re-organized my office and my little media operation here at the university last week to make it more efficient, and now I am working on making manuals :)

Hey symphonix, do u know how to operate an OS/390 system? ;)

Yes. To some extent. I can get it to run batch jobs, and I can start and stop programs, which is as much as any mortal who doesn't speak fluent binary and dream in hexadecimal can hope to achieve. OS/390 is not kind to its users.

Admiral, heres some info for your tree:
IBM Mainframe Operating Systems: DOS, which stands for Disk Operating System, was oringally derived for small System/360 configurations in the 60s...DOS today is commonly called DOS/VSE or just VSE. (Note that this is a different thing to MS-DOS)
OS was originally designed for the System/360. In the late 60s and early 70s, there were two versions of OS: OS/MFT and OS/MVT.
When virtual storage was developed in the eraly 70s, MFT and MVT were replaced by OS/VS1 and OS/VS2.
The current for of OS is called MVS, which stands for Multiple Virtual Storage. Today there are three common versions of MVS. MVS/370 (had 16mb of virtual storage), MVS/XA (up to 2gb of virtual storage) and MVS/ESA (multiple 2gb address spaces).

... taken from "MVS JCL" by Doug Lowe.

There, that should give you some things to look up for your OS history tree!

:)

ME!?!?!??!
what about you, your website is "currently offline". Is that not a problem? it is. You have problems, with everyone else in world yes?
I come here when i am angry, and i say crazy things... it somehow cheers me up.

NOW CHANGING THE SUBJECT TO SOMETHING COOL:
How many of you don't use the Aqua theme, like who uses a downloaded theme like Platinum by Max?

i am going to turn on Platinum in a few minutes, i miss OS 9 theme, it's much more simple and stuuuffffs!
OS X is too much for your eyes, it's beautiful but i like the plainness and stuff of platinum, and i dont like the OS X scan line things!

Back