Herve's Bar & Grill

Woo Hoooo - first real snow!!!

We just got 5 inches of the fluffy white stuff. Work just bought a used plow and truck to try to save some green so I got to run around playing in the snow, not getting my feet wet and getting paid for it!

And at the end of the day - Hot Cider with ginger and cinnamon. Ah - I do like the winter.
Oh so lucky! I'm heading up to Michigan a couple days before Christmas and I hope to see snow!!

Oh so lucky! I'm heading up to Michigan a couple days before Christmas and I hope to see snow!!

Just remember from this old Northerner (grew up in Upstate NY, Lake Snow area) to use the snow on the road rules:

1. Use at least the twice of distance when braking to stop.

2. Four wheel drive will help you get out of ditches but are hard as heck to drive in slippery conditions. So go a little slower in snowy conditions and don't ever break really hard, you will slid uncontrollably if you do.

3. Be a real defensive driver in Snowy conditions. Don't follow any vehicle to close and keep good distances between cars.

4. Never lay on the pedal in snowy conditions, you will do nothing but spin your tires and bury your tires deeper into the snow.

5. When sliding get off the breaks. Stopping the wheels will make you slide even more in icing conditions.

Just keep these simple rules in mind and you should be find in Snowy road conditions. Just remember the turtle wins the race in slick conditions.

Last edited:
Ah, the joys of driving in snowy/icy conditions... We're taught to allow ten times the stopping distance and also to use higher gears to prevent wheel spin.

Actually, I've found a relevant page of The Highway Code (which learners in the UK have to remember before passing their driving test): Driving in adverse weather conditions.

I love to drive in the snow, I get vicarious pleasure out of seeing folks on the side of the road (hurt cars, not hurt people).

I take my children learning to drive out to a big empty parking lot and have them see what trouncing on the brakes or stomping on the gas will do to you, but I have to borrow someone else's car because ....

*knocks on wood

My Honda Civic just keeps going and going. I can't get it to spin out, even when I try in the parking lot. It seems they designed it with slippery driving conditions in mind.

*knocks once more just in case

Funny that the Brits call it a higher gear, we call it a lower gear. But then that Jeremy cat with the car show on BBC calls it High Gear (or is it Top Gear)

Last edited:
Funny that the Brits call it a higher gear, we call it a lower gear. But then that Jeremy cat with the car show on BBC calls it High Gear (or is it Top Gear)
Really? I'm surprised, actually!

We call higher gears the ones with the higher numeric value, which are the ones used at higher speeds. Is that what you were assuming (or knew)? I suppose I'd never thought of it as potentially being the other way round. The highest gear (e.g. 5th gear) is sometimes called the top gear, hence the name of the BBC show.

Oh, possibly best not to look up the episode where Jeremy, Richard, and James travel across the south of the US. ;)

My bad - I misunderstood the text from the link you posted
drive at a slow speed in as high a gear as possible

Use a lower gear for more control. Higher gear for more speed.

Clarkson in Alabama - what a trip!!! :)

You guys talking of snow driving cursed me he last two days. We now got 20+ inches here in Virginia and I need some warm cider now.

My bad - I misunderstood the text from the link you posted
Oh, OK.

Use a lower gear for more control. Higher gear for more speed.
Under normal circumstances, yes. The reason they advise a higher gear in the snow is to reduce wheel spin, as lower gears provide more torque. (But I imagine you know this already!)

Clarkson in Alabama - what a trip!!! :)
I particularly liked the driver-cooling system that Jeremy constructed. :D

You guys talking of snow driving cursed me he last two days. We now got 20+ inches here in Virginia and I need some warm cider now.
Ooops, sorry. Err, where's that link to driving in a heat wave? :)

Satcomer - Hot Cider - with cinnamon and nutmeg

I am just north of where this snow hit. 40 miles south they had six inches and here - zip!
But it's nice, because the skating out on our pond has been just fabulous.

Just saw an amazing, so bad 60's(?) film on the cable channel here... and this is no joke...

Title... "Dracula in Pakistan" Yes, you heard me right. Check it out gang.

Sounds like a bizarre concept! Mind you, perhaps he went there to get away from crucifixes? :) (Sorry...)

Did you watch it all the way through?

Bartender, warm up the Plasma TV, there may be a rush.

I just told the street I think the Saints will win and I'll buy a round if they do.

And - I'll buy the round if they win - but told the street I'd buy if they loose. That's what you get for betting under the influence. :<P

how often do they play rugby? Seems like a rough go - do they play more than once a week?
Players play for their respective clubs weekly. The best players are selected for the national teams. The Six Nations tournament takes place in Feb/March each year and consists of England, Italy, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and France.

The Saints game is live on British television tonight.

Back