Herve's Bar & Grill

I really dig my new sig. So philosophical, no? :D
If I start turning into a Herve you will have to byte me.

ideally i think everyone that doesn't have some short catchy phrase (and just a short catchy prhase) should leave their sigs outside. Any technically oriented sigs are like taking your work to the bar. on the other hand i think any sig and post together that isn't as long as all your static info in the left column is fine. since Googolplex rarely posts more than a line or two at a time, his posts almost always look clean anyway. on the other hand BB's sig is useless and a bit obtrusive in this thread. For one thing we shouldn't care what kind of computer anybody uses since we aren't troubleshooting. and we certainly don't need to see anybody's sig 3 times on one page (this probably would make sense for any thread but that is another matter). So i suppose it is just a matter of using good common sense as to whether or not to leave it in. be your own critic. it's not like i am going t hunt you down and humiliate anyone over it.

but maybe we will teach Tom how to use the edit function next:D

seriously, when i first started making a personal effort to post without sig in this forum, i forgot about half the time. but it was obvious immediately and i just hit edit and took it off. interestingly, if you edit your posts within a certain period of time you don't get the edited notification that makes people think you took out all the terrible things that were about them:p

now back to plants:) cactus are nice but can be just as difficult to keep alive in cold weather climates. I have killed more cacti than i have arrowheads or pothos or pepperomia or even combined. I am proud that i have one now that is over a year old. It doesn't grow, but it doesn't die either. As for cats and plants - they do add a special challenge. but hanging plants are always good and mine love to hide under the leaves of my big philodendron. Placing your plants in good solid somewhat heavy planters helps as well. they also tend not to eat the bigger, thicker leaved plants. i have given up on having any kind of palm or thin leaved draecena because they eat them almost overnite:(

greg - you should be able to find prayer plants (aka - marantas) anywhere in the country. i had a couple when i lived in ohio. The plain green ones are more common in some areas but they perform the 'ritual' just the same. Florists almost always have them but charge out the ___ for them. Good nurseries tend to carry whatever growers have at any particular point in time so talking to a nursery and seeing if they have a grower who supplies them with any particular plant is a good way to find a really healthy one. some will even notify you when they get them in or make a special effort to see if the grower has any ready for sale. be careful, discount stores often sell them before they have become fully rooted so give the main plant a slight tug to make sure it doesn't come out in your hand with the dirt still in the pot. this is one plant that likes lots of water so don't let it sit dry for long periods. I have heard they do well in the 'fishbowls' that are so popular now. then you rarely have to do anything but feed the fish every couple of weeks or so.;)

BB - while i admire and like your thing with the herve's magazine, it is confusing me everytime i go to find this thread !! you made the names too much alike:p

Heh. If you think cats are bad with plants, try a tortoise. We have two flowerbeds out back, both specifically set aside for the tortoise. We go to the nursery, get 2-3 flats of various plants and flowers, then plant them. Give them a week or so to get settled in, then let the tortoise out into the yard. Twenty minutes later, half the plants are gone. Like down to the ground gone. :)

But at least we get to have new plants every week or two, and we aren't getting bored with anything in our yard. :)

And yes, like I said, the beds are for the tortoise, so it's not like it's something we don't expect to happen. It's just surprising how quickly they go away.

And strange but true (really!) Tucson is great for growing cactii. :D

So I just noticed that this will be my 100th post. OK, I lied. I noticed that I was coming close when googolplex and BB were mentioning theirs.

So is this the point where I say
"Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"
?

Can I go to bed now? Darn MacOSX.com addiction...
;)

Gosh i don't think we have had a good whee in here in a long time. Makes me think of Sithious and how he had the first whee in Herve's. then he left and never came back. I know he can be the quiet type being a jedi and all but i keep hoping we will see him poking his head back in here sometime.

Nkuvi - Arizona is also a great place for growing succulents as well. In fact, a lot of what you probably think are cacti are really succulents. But i love the tortoise story. Perhaps if i had done that with my last one he would have lived longer ( i had him for just over a year ). It does sound like a great excuse for having new plants on a regular basis.:)

now go to bed if you haven't already:D

Um, one year? What kind of tort?

I know we grow succulents too -- I have one on my desk. Strangely enough, I don't think I want a cactus on my desk. I'm fine without spines in my arm when I'm not paying attention. Especially since the tortoise can't get up on the desk, I don't have to worry about it being eaten. I have a friend whose torts eat the Opuntia pads, spines and all. Just the thought makes my mouth hurt. :)

Just thought you guys should know that the next post pushes Herve's past the cus thread in total number of post.

Are we still allowed to post in the cus thread? will we be publically hanged like others? or is it acceptable in there? this thread is huge... i like it better then the cus thread too.

Why of coarse Addy.
And in remembrance of an old cusser. #$%^ me! :D

Racer in thruth, we should state this in relative numbers. ;)

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
but maybe we will teach Tom how to use the edit function next:D
Hey!
Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
...seriously, when i first started making a personal effort to post without sig in this forum, i forgot about half the time.
Exactly... I'm working on it. It will become habitual soon enough.:cool:

Originally posted by googolplex
Are we still allowed to post in the cus thread? will we be publically hanged like others? or is it acceptable in there? this thread is huge... i like it better then the cus thread too.

I dont know :eek:
you may try it and tell us :p
if we see you in the gallows we know not to try ;)

Back