Herve's Bar & Grill

Yeah, it's cuz Macromedia can't make a unique logo so they use the icon everyone has used to represent a FOLDER on the Mac for 12 years. Great.

Originally posted by symphonix
I heard somewhere (and I doubt this is true) that C was created as a sort of geek-joke. It was meant to stand for cryptic, and was written around lots of obscure in-jokes.

Can anyone confirm for me that TWAIN (as in the scanners etc) stands for Thing Without An Interesting Name ?I can find anything anywhere that refutes that.

If you want a drink, then you'd better order it now. Something (either my ISP or the server) is being dog-slow and I'm ready for bed, so I'm off in a bit.

Admiral - is there a reason you didn't post anything in Greek? ;)

hmm... anyone else have some FREAKY weather?!

yesterday... 70 degrees and sunny
today... 30 degrees and snow with overcast

anything else like this happen to you lately!?

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
oh i almost forgot - Tom, after seeing the new shipment of house plants at the Daly City Home Depot (the one near Serramonte), i am convinced that what you got was a draecena.

now either give me a good word description of the other one or else get out that digital camera of yours and take a pic. i remembered you have one when i saw Brian Branmiller, or whatever his name is, on tv tonight.:D

Yep! That's it.

The other one is just a bunch of big leaves that all pop out near the soil. the leaves are long and thick and ways. I've been avoiding describing it because to me it is not too memorable and it is at work, and I keep writing these at home.

I'l try to remember to bring my camera to work tomorrow...

Originally posted by dricci
The man at the Apple genious bar said they didn't serve alchohol, so I decided to come over to Herve's Bar and Grill, Where Herve will always say "I have been warned MacOSX bar humor! See you after catle!" with a smile!...
So are you surfing Mac OS X from the Apple store!? ;)

Originally posted by tismey
Admiral - I presume that's a frappe (how do you do accents? anyone?)
Only a guess:

è = è
é = é
ê = ê
ë = ë

á = á
à = à
â = â
ã = ã
ä = ä
å = å

etc...

Originally posted by symphonix
I heard somewhere (and I doubt this is true) that C was created as a sort of geek-joke. It was meant to stand for cryptic, and was written around lots of obscure in-jokes.
I always thought it was because it was a "compiled" language...

Originally posted by tismey

Can anyone confirm for me that TWAIN (as in the scanners etc) stands for Thing Without An Interesting Name ?I can find anything anywhere that refutes that.

If you want a drink, then you'd better order it now. Something (either my ISP or the server) is being dog-slow and I'm ready for bed, so I'm off in a bit.

Admiral - is there a reason you didn't post anything in Greek? ;)
What?!?! No 24/7 bar service?

tismey, who covers for you when you are gone? (I don't mean for any fancy mixed drinks... just a pint or somethng simple...)

ok, can we focus on ONE thing at a time please i cant possibly comprehend all your different topics on one page! weather, plants, accents, programming languages!!! sheesh!

--were's tat drink i ordered , the one home made?

Dude vic, this is Hervé's Bar & Grill, I thought that kind of stuff was encouraged. :D

-the valrus

Tom -- taking after xoot? Six posts in a row...? ;)

I have the C book here (at home) and I'll post a summary soon.

Tismey, could I have a pint of Newcastle? Thanks.

From The C Programming Language. 2nd edition, Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie:
C is a general-purpose programming language. It has been closely associated with the UNIX system where it was developed, since both the system and most of the programs that run on it are written in C. The language, however, is not tied to any one operating system or machine; and although it has been called a "system programming language" because it is useful for writing compilers and operating systems, it has been used equally well to write major programs in many different domains.

Many of the important ideas of C stem from the language BCPL, developed by Martin Richards. The influence of BCPL on C proceeded directly through the language B, which was written by Ken Thompson in 1970 for the first UNIX system on the DEC PDP-7.

BCPL and B are "typeless" languages. By contrast, C provides a variety of data types.
Blah blah blah blah blah. :)

I also have a very good book by Peter Van Der Linden which goes into more detail. But I think I've bored enough people with this post. Now I have to bore people with another post. :D Looking back, I could have been satisfied with the second paragraph alone, but I already typed it, so there. :p

Break out the good stuff, the patio is done except for a small walkway to the yard that must wait till other things are done to finish !! Now to go get some rocks and finish off the pond.

tom - we are looking for a few more bartenders at this point. You can consider the job yours if you would like. While Tismey is one of the great bartenders, he is only one man and appreciates a little help every now and then.

your other plant sounds like either some sort of philodendron or maybe a chinese evergreen. Take the picture and i will know for sure.

vic - Valrus is right. this is a bar. in a happening bar, lots of conversations are always going on at once. That's the whole idea. Pay attention to the ones that interest you and ignore the rest. otherwise you are likely to get overwhelmed, just like in real life.:D

while i haven't done sh*t on a computer for nearly a week now, i feel really proud of myself right now. :)

One home-made Tismey special for Vic (Ed, can you remind me we need to get some more of the urinal disinfectant blocks?) Sorry it took so long - that sloooow connection was just the pits.

Tom - I'm sure Ed won't mind you helping yourself as long as you don't go overboard...

nkuvu - I can't get to Newcastle very easily. Will a pint of Sunderland do instead? It's still nort-east, and I think it tastes more or less the same...

Bling, we've been having crazy weather too. Last week we set a high temp at 68F, then the next day, we had a two hour delay due to all of the ice that had formed overnight.

I was hoping that it would kill all of the geese that flew up early this year, they aways have the tendancy to come and "crap" on my lawn.

But really? Aren't spring and fall the worst seasons? Spring just keeps telling me that its almost summer, yet the ground is too wet. Fall forshadows how cold its going to become, yet you get none of the benefits of winter, like snow. INstead you just spend your time outside raking leaves.:rolleyes:

Same weather swing for us. Last week it was really warm, my friends and I went biking. This week it's crap, it just snowed last night :(

Yeah, in New York City it's been really warm (almost hot) for about a week and now it's quite cold again... we ended up with the strangest December ever, where most people were running around in shorts + teeshirts.... and then it got REALLY cold right about a month ago... damn

Its been warm then cold then warm then cold then warm then cold here. Its driving me crazy! Our winter has been really weird. I hope we get a good summer.

Back