Panther Bugs and Incompatibilities (Post here)

Ifrit said:
The 'A' key of my ibook G3 700MHz stopped working After A cleAn instAll of OSX 10.3. At leAst the upper cAse 'A' (shift+A) does work, so I believe fAulty ibook keyboArd isn't the reAson...
I don't if I'm weird or something, but I absolutely busted out laughing at this! Sorry... :)

Anyone having a problem with the drop shadows of the icons on the desktop? They seem to "screw up" after a while....the shadow gets slightly distorted, it's fine once i click the icon....until it happens again, heh. Fresh install here too, hmm....c'mon 10.3.1 :)

Problem: Exposé takes over QuarkXPress 4 shortcut keys. Is there a way to reverse this ? Palette and guides hiding/showing is essential to Quark.

When rebooting to OS9 (which is on a different partition), the whole thing crashes (MacsBug says: dFSerr line 18). I have to zap PRAM to get it not to crash. All screen settings are then lost, this is my biggest panther drawback.
Would reinstalling OS9 be a solution ? I have 9.22.

When waking up the comp, the screen looks really fuzzy for a few minutes. That's quite normal, but it never happened before.

Safari is not nearly as stable. It has unexpectedly quit several times since the upgrade. Also suddenly I cant get to sites I regularly visit with safari it says safari cant load any data. I have to use IE...booooo.

i have tried dumping the pref but that didn't seem to make a difference.

I've just recieved my copy of 10.3 and want to install it this week.
But i'm a little affraid of the messages about Palm Desktop in this forum.
Does anyone got it working??
Or is there a way to get it to work??
I use my Palm a lot, so if it is not working, i will not install 10.3 yet until an update.

Safari has crashed about 3 times already today. I've found a few instabilities with a few apps getting confused also. Back to Safari... a drop down menu I developed for site is now really slow in Safari (but wasn't in v1)??

OK, I was doing pretty darn awesome with Panther. It's awesome.

But, I think I found a bug with the screenshot feature. I was trying to take a screenshot of an Entourage email. Pressing the space bar turns my cursor into a camera, and I can take a picture of a window without having to drag from one corner to the opposite.

Anyway, it appeared to work, but it sort of acted as if it was stuck in the camera mode. Like, the first click produced a "Picture 1.pdf" on my desktop and everything appeared normal. BUT, the very next time I clicked, I heard the camera click again and the PDF file flashed, and appeard to have been overwritten with a new "Picture 1.pdf". Every click thereafter produced the same results... I even clicked on Pause in my iTunes mini-window and after looking at the PDF, verified that indeed Panther was overwriting my original screenshot file.

I was able to get out of this mode by hitting Command-Shift-4 (no space bar) and immediately hitting the Escape key.

p.s. How do these things actually get fixed? Do Apple employees actually visit this thread and take notes? Do they depend on direct email? Or... their own Apple-sanctioned forums?

toast said:
Problem: Exposé takes over QuarkXPress 4 shortcut keys. Is there a way to reverse this ? Palette and guides hiding/showing is essential to Quark.

Exposé is VERY customisable. Just look at its preference pane...

Certain fonts in Flash MX look bad. You can see random simple shapes (triangles and rectangles) between letters and instead of some spaces. So far this happened when I used Copperplate and Bank Gothic (not everywhere). The same files look just fine under Jaguar or 9. Same fonts look just fine in any other application under Panther as well. They are not corrupt.

This is original version of MX, not MX 2004. Still there's no reason for it not to display those fonts correctly under Panther, as Panther is still an OS 10, and MX was designed to run on 10.

did we ever find a keychain fix? if i log into any other server from the 'network' area, or an alias icon, it won't save my password. no matter how many times i try.

Wow where do I start? My initial Panther install went very well. I was quite happy with it until about a week into using it... then everything seemed to fall apart.

Just about every "apple" component stated to flak out. iChat just stopped working... giving me an "internet" error every time I typed more then one word.

Safari started double typing text. Every word had two spaces between it. I was unable to do anything but navigate this site... couldn't post with Safari at all. I'm not sure if that was Safari or macosx.com.

Mail has been fine -- I just switched to it when I installed Panther. Sherlock doesn't work. It is unable to load any of the channels.

The Finder will have "stall moments" where I'll have to wait several seconds for it to catch up to my mouse instructions.

All of this started happening within days of use.

I did a fresh install... and I'm not interested in rebuilding my machine again... I installed 10.3.1 and that didn't seem to help.

I did have a brief improvement when I switched to my "test" user... which had no third party components installed... but then it also started experiencing the same errors as my initial user did... which points it back to Panther.

I'm on a TiBook and it does get a lot of use... I've been thinking of going back to zero on it, but the thought of re-installing everything (yet again) is not appealing. :(

That sounds serious, my main complaint at this time would be iTunes seems to be slow when I switch between songs, and i mean SLOW, a good 3 second delay, which is just crazy to say the least.

edited for brevity:

My Palm is just fine, I had to reinstall everything but that made it all OK. 10.3 has been little odd for me in general though, just kinda kludgy feeling in some places. There are some points of dramatic improvement though. Hardware support seem to be as good as 10.2 for me.

I have a problem with disk images. I used to be able to mount them quickly without checking them every time, now that's not a preference, they're mounted by the Finder. But worse, if I (fast)switch to another user and mount all of my disk images, then my normal user can't mount them. Silent failure. The other user logging out doesn't help either. They remain mount points in /Volumes belonging to the other user. There seems to be a fundamental failing about mounting disk images, especially when talking about multiple users on a system. Good luck with this one, Apple.

Oh, and Urbansory, I had a T problem with 10 beta I think it was. It was funny enough that I grabbed a screen shot. A reboot fixed that one.

10.2 did not like uni type mail accounts either. I wished they would have changed that option back to 10.1 like (when it supported them).

twister said:
did we ever find a keychain fix? if i log into any other server from the 'network' area, or an alias icon, it won't save my password. no matter how many times i try.

Twister—

Use the go menu to log into the servers. If they are local servers use the rendezvous name (i.e. twister.local) and keychain will remember the info. Once keychain has the info stored you'll be able to connect from the network area with re-entering the login and password everytime.

bigbadbill said:
Twister—

Use the go menu to log into the servers. If they are local servers use the rendezvous name (i.e. twister.local) and keychain will remember the info. Once keychain has the info stored you'll be able to connect from the network area without re-entering the login and password everytime.

My Safari was flaking out (just installed last night and didn't have a lot of time to experiment). My AirPort signal was going on strong, and my System Update was flaky. On broadband, it took 3 times to get the small 10.3.1 update installed. Got it and repaired permissions, but couldn't get the bluetooth and airport updates installed. And the bt is so small, it should have taken less than 30 seconds to download. Tried it 6 times with no luck.

1 - I updated 10.2.8 on my PowerMac G4 dual processor to Panther. Safari does not work anymore: the new version installed by Panther terminates immediately

2 - Virtual PC cannot work in full screen mode on the secondary screen

3 - I tried to install Panther on my PowerBook G4 titanium 500MHz, but after disk check it reported an error and the installation stopped.
:(

Back