Safari with Tabs (v62 - v71)

Status
Not open for further replies.
With "Safari Enhancer for v67" you can deactivate cache (or maybe you have always been able to do that, and i just missed it. Is this some kind of pipelining, or what is it good for?

Through the debug menu you can empty both WebCore and WebFoundation caches... I think it's the same thing, but I am not sure.

Opening a list of bookmarks in one click is good... but I will then need several lines of tabs, not just one ! Or animated tabs "à la" Dock !

Yea, that's an old thing dlloyd. besides - not only v62, v64 and v67 leakes out as slashdot says but e.g. i saw the v65 too.

Does anyone remember Steve saying something about Open source when he introduced Safari? :confused:

Has anyone noticed on posting to ebay auctions some of the code is screwed up. We have about 500 current listings on ebay and some of the text becomes left justified for no reason when viewing through safari but not through some other browsers. Has this been fixed in v68?

I do, however I think that meant that he was going to use the Open Source but not give anything back. :)
Really though, what I heard is that he took the Konqueror source, optimized it, and then released the optinimzed code again. I don't think that means that he was making Safari open-source. :-\

Originally posted by Giaguara
Yea, that's an old thing dlloyd. besides - not only v62, v64 and v67 leakes out as slashdot says but e.g. i saw the v65 too.

Does anyone remember Steve saying something about Open source when he introduced Safari? :confused:

Yes he explicitly mentioned that Safari was based on an open source package and that Apple would be merging their modifications back into the project. I don't know if Safari itself is open source, if the code that it's based on was released under the GPL, then it would have to be. If it's using some other license, then it depends on what that other license is (LGPL, BSD, etc).

WebCore, which is based on KHTML, is open source. The front end GUI of Safari is proprietary Apple technology. So Apple is required under the GPL to dump any changes/improvements they make to the KHTML engine back in to the project. But since the front end is not based on the GPL, Apple doesn't have to relinquish the source code for it.

I'm not sure how often Apple shares their improvements with the KHTML project. I know they originally didn't even tell them they were using the engine until Safari was officially released. Now that the cat is out off the bag (litterally), I wonder if they bank changes as they are made, or if they will wait for milestone releases before doing so.

As has been stated, there is a really good chance that OmniWeb will adopt the webcore KHTML engine for the next major release of OmniWeb. However, since Apple probably won't release webcore to the public until it gets real close to a 1.0 release for Safari, that could realistically mean that webcore won't be available for 3rd party implementation until this fall (if Safari does indeed ship a 1.0 around the same time as Panther)....

webcore is released to the public (developers). however, omniweb might want to wait a bit, in order not to start developing and having to change everything again when webcore is (more) final... but you can get webcore and compile it yourself. i don't know whether the source is the newest, though, haven't looked at it for some time...

According to David Hyatt, developers shouldn't even think about using webcore just yet - it's nowhere near ready.

From his weblog...

If you're trying to embed the Safari layout engine right now, stop it! :) Don't try to build code around these two components.

Update:: Quoted from ADC: "In addition to providing the best web browser for Mac users, one of the goals of Safari is to provide a fast and efficient HTML rendering engine for Mac application developers. Apple is actively
preparing a Safari SDK that will be available later this year."

In other words, all good things come to those who wait, so be patient! :)

I just confirmed with myself and it's now an unconfirmed confirmed rumor report thingey. Apple will release Safari with tabs for my birthday. Now it's a little fuzzy exactly when but either in the week before or after. So anytime before April 7th. :D

Is it illegal to have v67 of safari, if you're not apart of apple's seed thingy? And Twister, happy almost birthday!

Yes, it is sadly. It won't happen, but it would be great if Apple implemented a nightly build program just like Camino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back