Safari with Tabs (v62 - v71)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by gwynarion
I've been working with the v64 beta of Safari for the last few hours and I have to say that I've been very pleased with its performance. A lot of the weird errors I saw in terms of rendering in v62 have been cleared up. However there is one annoying bug that persists.

When I open Safari I get a single screen with no tabs in it. Every thing's good so far. When I open a tab (or a tab "group") the tab bar appears at the top of the window, making the content window slightly smaller. Still all good. The problem appears when I close all the tabs, leaving a single window. When the last tab closes the tab bar disappears, but instead of expanding the content window upwards while leaving the bottom of the window where it was, it keeps the content window the same size and simply "pulls" the bottom of the application window up. So now I have Safari ending 20-30 pixels above my dock where it was snugged right up against it before. From an aesthetic and functionality stand point I find this annoying and ungraceful.

I agree w/ you. It annoyed me in v62 and I was really hoping that since it was such a small tidbit that it would be easily fixed for v64. Still not the case. Kind of disapointing, but I guess it shouldn't be that much to complain about for being what was meant to be an internal beta. I do hope it's fixed by the official release though.

Originally posted by chnobody
Using the v64 beta of Safari, I find that now I cannot load the www.lordoftherings.net web site. This used to work just fine earlier. Anybody else see this problem? Otherwise, love the tabs!!!

lotr_in_safari.jpg

Originally posted by Drizzt
Do you have something called pithhelmet installed? I was reading about users on the macnn forums having the same problem and they had that app installed. Apparently removing it fixed the quiting issue for them.

You are my savior!:) :)

Well, that was interesting. Regarding the www.lordoftherings.net web page loading, I went back to v62 and there it loaded properly. I tried an older version of the flash plug-in, but that didn't seem to make a difference. I ended up telling Safari to erase the cache and then tried to load the site. From this point on the site is loading properly as a Flash site. Must have been some old cache error... Thanks for the feedback.

Originally posted by Drizzt
Do you have something called pithhelmet installed? I was reading about users on the macnn forums having the same problem and they had that app installed. Apparently removing it fixed the quiting issue for them.

Oh and can I install PithHelmet again now, or do I have to wait until they release a bug fix?
Damn popups.:p

Download Safari Enhancer from versiontracker.com and enable the Debug menu. There, activate the use of tabs. Then, you can ctrl-click links and open them in new tabs. Also, Apple-T will open a new tab, then. But as of build v64, tabs are not yet 'just available'. Need the debug menu.

Originally posted by RPS
Oh and can I install PithHelmet again now, or do I have to wait until they release a bug fix?
Damn popups.:p

Honestly I don't know. The Macnn forum users haven't mentioned anything about having reinstalled it since installing the new Safari. I guess you could try it and see if it brings back the problem again. Sorry I couldn't give you a better idea though.

Question... Now that Apple probably has seen on message boards and rumour sites all over the world that we _wanted_ tabs, that we _found_ them in v62 and up, do you think Apple will release a beta with it as a 'featured' feature anytime soon?

The feature seems quite complete and stable, some people are even talking about Apple releasing one of the coming builds as 1.0 final...

I'm not sure what Apple planned for a release date, but having tested all recent builds, I have to say I'd be glad about a WWDC 2003 release for Safari 1.0. :)

I don't think we'll see a "1.0" Safari anytime before the release of 10.3. I do think Apple will continue to release monthly builds with incremental feature updates & bug fixes, but what I've heard is that Apple is in no rush to deem Safari 1.0 finished until it's rock solid and is as competent at rendering sites as Mozilla and IE.

New version of PithHelmet

What's new in this version:

Updated to fix crashing bug with Safari v64
Special code to handle content filtering in Safari v64 (had to be totally rewritten)
Updated rule set to be more effective against certain types of ads
100% backward compatible with earlier versions of Safari (pre-v64)

Autocomplete seems pretty good, for your own personal details, providing you have your own address card nicely filled in! :D

It runs well for me, crashes rarely. I'd like to see the ability to have hyperlinks from iChat, Mail and apps, open in new Tabs, as opposed to new windows, but hey ... one thing at a time! ... its coming along nicely!

As for Ver1 ... yea, i agree, i think they'd steadily make this browser solid, and leave Safari 1.0 for Panther (It was Panther, right? :confused: ) ... at the same time, can't they ditch IE now, and make Safari default Browser? :D

Neyo

1) Yep, it's 'Panther'. Unless Steve renames it and makes rumour sites look bad. ;)

2) The tab feature is quite new in Safari, I guess the desired preference will make it into a release when the tab feature is done.

3) Guess we can safely assume that Safari 1.0, when finished, will be the default browser. Makes no sense to have their own product and then hide it. :p

another nice touch in v64 is the backround tabs having the striped aqua look when safari is run under the striped look. nice touch, better than before when it retained the brushed metal appearance

Originally posted by chevy
And it is possible that Safari 1.0 REQUIRES 10.3.

Good Thinking!!! ... i never thought of that! ... i am really looking forward to a major update! .. now i have a nice little Desktop machine, its much more interesting!

...Anyone running Aqua Safari, fancy showing it to me? ... i wouldn't mind a glance ... ( @ v64 ) ... i am curious!

Neyo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back