Congrats to Ed Spruiell!!

Sorry dlookus, I had to rush off to work and just got back now.

You sound like you're burned out, "happy to be away from the mess". Or is it the mess of the city you meant?

"Getting something closer to home", in Rochester of Jersey?

I live in Bayside, Queens and commute to Manhattan for the job. I love the buzz of the city but like being able to leave and see some trees and a bit of grass here and there. You gotta have some kind of balance or it'll surely drive you nuts.

I checked out levitated.net, that's a pretty impressive site. I love the start page. And his math flash exhibits are intense. Can you give this designer/programmer a run for his money?

You sound like you're burned out, "happy to be away from the mess". Or is it the mess of the city you meant?

A little of this, a little of that. I'm starting to think I need a change of pace. I like NYC, but I've done that for a couple years now. I'd like to see what else is out there. Unfortunately, there's not much.:( I worked about 5 blocks from WTC. That was pretty traumatic, but it was much better down there when I left. It's not really the reason I don't want to go back, though.

The commute was brutal, after 9/11 especially. If I could be away from home 9 hours a day instead of 12, I'd be a much happier person.

Bayside eh? That must be a pretty nasty subway ride too, or do you have the luxury of an express bus. My wife grew up in Woodhaven. It was a pretty solid hour from there (by subway.)

As far as that site goes. That guy does totally different stuff than I do (or did.) No comparison really. I really like his stuff though. I'm putting together my site now. I'll post the URL when it's done.

Tell me about nothing being out there. It's like some sort of tidal wave struck in NYC. All of the sudden I'm hearing people losing there gigs and businesses closing there doors, etc. etc. I don't know if I'm just noticing this now or if it's been happening for a while already. Very scary. Well I wish you the best of luck in getting another gig. I know it's going to be rough.
Wow and to be that close must have surely been traumatic. I work in the Flat Iron district and that was traumatic to me. The first few days after was such a surreal experience walking around in the streets. Really hard to describe but I think you know what I mean.

I know what you mean about your commute. Some of my coworkers commute from Jersey and have recanted there experiences. Uhh. I'll have to say that in general I felt the public transit system handled this all fairly well. I'll have to tip my hat to those guys.

Oh your wife's from Woodhaven? What a small world aye? Ed has a sister near there just above Forest Park in Rego Park, and my relatives are in Elmhurst and Ridgewood. The only ones left that haven't done the migration east towards the Island.

Oh yes the subway and train rides would take me 2 1/2 hours each direction. Simply not doable. The funny thing is I live technically 15-20 mins away from the city by car. I used to use public trans when I first started working in the city but now take the LIRR in. It's pretty cool. A 20 min train ride and it drops me off at Herald Square. From there I can walk or hop on the R depending on my mood.

I look forward to checking out your site.

speaking of Ed...where is he ?

As for my future profession, I plan on living close to where I work ;-) dont wanna commute a lot. Fun, work and home should be close...so should friends :D -- too bad this online community is spread out all over the face of the aerth and we cant hang :p

Admiral

I thought maybe I scared Ed away. You are wise Ak to want to work near home. Commuting sucks, flat out.

Klink where did you go to school?

yea, I'm still pissed at dlookus for never coming back to Herve's with the babes in tow;) :p

(to be clear - JUST JOKING!!:D )

no, i've been lurking. i felt kinda quiet yesterday. Having all these threads take off with everybody joining in and cross conversations taking place is really cool. It made me feel good. and sometimes when i feel good i just get quiet and enjoy the feeling.:)

I think i also felt overwhelmed by all the posts in so many of the threads i have been participating in. perhaps i have overextended myself a bit recently and pulling back a little bit would be good. Don't worry, i will always remain true to the 'congrats' threads and Herve's B&G.

yesterday i did a lot of cleaning and reorganizing- of my computer. I actually have a desktop now that i could take a picture of and send in if i were so inclined. I also have multible docks set up so that i can get to almost every app i use from there.

klink- I noticed where you are just a few months older than my sister. maybe i should set you up. Last guy i recommended to her, she married.:p

more later, just wanted to let you guys know i hadn't fallen off my chair laughing and been unable to get back up:D

Ed be careful :p
Those falls are killers ;-) You might get permanent damage lol :p

Is your sister of teh mediterranen look Ed ? cause klink seems so bent on getting teh scraps once I am done :p hehehe ;-)

Admiral

no, my sister is pretty anglo looking. somewhat germanic. she is also pretty tall. about 5'10" i think. Her soon to be ex-husband is Moraccan. She likes mediterranian men:D

story behind her marriage - while i was visiting NYC for her college graduation, we went out to the bars a few times. one nite we ran into a bunch of her friends and theyjust sort of ignored me. well, one of them had a friend who was also being ignored and he and i talked quite a bit. that nite when we went home she was complaining about never meeting any nice guys. i told her i thought the guy i had met was pretty nice so she ended up checking him out after i left. they got married about a year or two later:p

Thinking about this also reminds me of tromping thru harlem in the wee hours of the morning with a couple of her meditaeranian friends who have dark enough skin to pass as black. They were singing opera and i was laughing endlessly. people were far more afraid of us than we were of them.:D

What kind of opera ? Italian ? french ? or german ? :p

The german variety would be the most hilarious one :p --- hmmm...maybe klink and your sister would hit it off...but...you guys...would be in-laws :eek:

At this rate we should just make Ed and Admiral the official good will ambassadors of MacOSX.com!

:D

I imagine that someday these texts will be found in the internet archives and a relegion will be formed around them. Admiral or Ed will be a central figure (Power struggle, anybody?) and Klink, Racer X and I, ect. will be known as the disciples. Racer X will be the disciple of rightous smackdown.

Eventually this text will be edited into the "Prime Minister James" version, which will make the conversation accessable to the average reader of the year 2075. This will become a third part of the bible.

I feel that I know have value and purpose.:)

well, thanks for noticing masked man.;) Hey, I was just looking at your guys pics again. they seem so much more real now that i've gotten to know you better.:)

ok, i have a confession to make. I don't pay any attention to anybody's post count unless they have less than 10.:p

It wasn't me who really noticed Tolya's count when i posted the first 'congrats to Ak'. I think it was Alexandert who pointed it out in some other thread. Everybody else was making such a big deal out of it i just decided to make it official in a goofy sort of way. I never imagined all that was to follow....:p

I expect that in 2075 this will still be like My Dinner with Andre. However in 3075, after they recover the lost server this is stored on, it will take on the greater importance that Phil foresees. He has the vision right, just not a good sense of time:D ;) :rolleyes:

(it will have been written over 3 times, making recovery of it something of a miracle:p )

so racerX, where do we send our ambassadors? i might be interested in that job:D

hmm, maybe i should ditch my name and come back as a new user and see how long it takes one of you to figure out who i am. I guess i would have to be more creative than EdX, eh?:p :rolleyes:

Phil - would that qualify as having died and then being risen from the dead? I could make sure i waited 3 days if that would add to the effect.:cool:

Jesus, Mary, Joseph, and a few wise men! :D
Congrats Ed!

dlookus - I went to Saint Robert Bellermine for grammer, Saint Francis Prep for HS, and a couple of years to NYIT out on the Island.
Had to split for work before, which sometimes can be school. Sorry to leave you hanging.

Hi uttruth. Queens is technically on the island but I'm sure you mean the lovely Long Island. I have some family out there as well. Around the Commack and Deer Park areas. Though I was raised on the west end, I spent plenty of time out east. Used to love going to Jones Beach, the Westbury drive in, oh and the Westbury Music Hall, the Hamptons, there were a bunch of music rehearsal spaces that I've made my homes in, the recording studios and of coarse the night clubs where you would pay to play some years ago.
Tell me. Tell me more of yourself. I see you move depending on the time of year. And you play an instrument to.
I'm so tickled in finding all you homies.

Glad you're back Ed. It's felt when you're not around.
What would I do without my super-ego. ;)

Uhh, too much input to process and klinky's very sleepy now and must wake up early for work. Bear with him please, it's been a very strange day.:eek: :( :confused:

yea klink, just what are you doing up at 5:11 in the morning and still on your way to bed? it must have been a very strange day. :p

one of my best friends from SDSU was from Wantaugh (sp?). We used to keep in touch but i don't think we've talked in over 18 years. I think his name was Stu Lubin (last name i can't be sure of anymore) and he was interested in the music industry. He is what little i know of Long Island.

well, i guess if I can't be a superhero, being a super ego will have to do:p

(don't everybody jump on the potential double meaning of super ego at once:rolleyes: )

I heard that osx.com was recommended by the mac_gurus at the apple stores ;-)

Perhaps we can go on a panamerican tour of the apple stores, ending our trip in coupertino :p Meet up with the big man, SJ himself lol ;-)

I don't notice post counts either, I never even noticed Ed had gone over 2000 :eek: .

Ed you must have some sort of magic touch cause the last thread that was sort of congrats made by applewatcher died after a couple hundred posts :p

Admiral

I think would should talk to SJ himself about our first world tour, those guys throw around airfare $$$ quicker than Steve Ballmer can soak a shirt with sweat. That's fast.

Bonus: Employees get free ice cream in the Cupertino cafeteria.

Back