Herve's Bar & Grill

The cities planned for cars is one of my complaints... when there are no pubs in crawling distance like there are in Europe (or NYC or if you happen to live in some artsy 'burbs of some bigger cities), it's not that common to go out for a pint. It's completely different when you can walk for 15 minutes or take a public transport to get to the pub districts. It would be nice to have some pubs in a walking distance...

Talking of cities, here's a Liverpool joke.

The Pope is handing out miracles to sick kids in Liverpool. Billy walks on stage and asks him, "Can you help me with my hearing?"

The Pope says "Yes" and puts his hands on Billy's ears and prays, removes them and says, "How is your hearing now?"

Billy says, "I don't know, it's not till next Wednesday"

I didn't realize how quiet it's been... but closed, nope. No way. How about a round of Jameson for all? On the house :)

How about a double Jameson? Speaking of turing off the lights... reminds me of a cartoon in a French paper after the Chernobyl accident... way back when (of course the radioactive cloud didn't pass the French frontier as one stupid minister said)... anyway two old ladies sitting on a bench with ruins and dead trees behind them. The last remaining people in the area. One says to the other...."last one turns out the lights."

Keep Bob's place open guys...

Triple Jameson too.
Talking about whiskey (as it's soon Paddy's day), I was struggling for quite a while here in the south to find Paddy's whiskey. It's made by Jameson distillery, and it's a Cork thing. So far in the US I only found it at an airport tax free at JFK and somewhere in Boston and SF. Of course the whiskey shipping and tax issues are weird limiting where you can order from (just like for some seeds and plants - like citrus plants to TX, FL or CA), but I did finally find a place that has Paddy's, and that ships it to Texas too. So just waiting for my mail order whiskey now :)
Flavorwise it's quite like Jameson, but smoother. (and the only way to have whiskey: smooth, straight, no ice) Even my sister likes it, and she does not usually like whiskey.

Rounds for everybody... thanks Giaguara. Here's to you and all the gang. Paddy's... Hmm. Couldn't find it in certain bars years back in NYC. My good friend Dennis from the Bronx, who was a rigger at the Metropolitan Museum swore by Paddys.Was in anger when they were no longer importing it anymore. I'm talking way back when. One day... I walked into The Carlow East after work and Denny was sitting at the bar... "hi Denny how are things?"... he turns to me "F#ck you!" Great guy. I miss him. I always prefered Jameson or..... Black Bush if I could afford it.
Best to all...

Try at thewhiskeyplace - they have Paddy's and ship it mostly anywhere. (I'm not bothering to put a full link to that as I pretend it'll keep the readers younger than the legal drinking age where they live from finding it, ... you'll find it anyway). Your friend might like to order it from there too, if NY is now as paddysless as TX. Get 2 bottles so with the slower shipping... it actually costs about the same or even a bit less than in Ireland. Ha!

I hope our bottles are here by the time new Justified airs. I know watching that show I should probably drink Kentucky bourbon, but I'm just not a fan of corn whiskeys.
Justified and Raylan or Boyd have not only influenced my whiskey consumption recently - I've got a cowboy hat too. Cowboy boots and the other accessories I already had earlier, so better dress up as the urban cowboy before the spring will finally be here as it's more fun before it gets too hot.

Scotch it is for the gentleman! I on the other hand will have some Scotch Ale :)

Now to get some conversations going: Is it me or are some car drivers getting angry with SUV drivers. I mean being behind a SUV driver going around a left hand turn or a curve in rode and they act as if their vehicle will tip over and go around 3 (US) miles/hour. I mean I can't count the number of times I missed a left turn light because some SUV is taking it's sweet time going making a left turn (we drive on the right in the USA)! :rolleyes:

Does anyone else see SUV drivers by themselves most of the time? To me it's a waist of gas.

Last edited:
Well Satcomer & gang... good to hear from you guys... "Scotch is for Gentleman?" Hmm. I always thought it was Porto (sherry) and a fine wine. No matter. I still like Scotch.... and trust me. I am no gentleman.... only with ladies and children.

Concerning these military cars... SUVs... frankly they should be banned from USA roads and only used in Iraq, Afghanistan or any part of the world where one can have "fun." Quads ditto. "Jerks on three wheels" I call them. Like guns."You like playing with an automatic or a machine gun.... well go play "overthere." And enjoy.
Time for a wee dram.... Best to all the gang at Bob's Place.
Been awhile since I checked in to see what's cooking.

Aaaah.... Been away a very log time :(
So for me a white beer ...

SUV's hmm? If you are still driving here (Netherlands) in one of those you will be marked as a "loser". There are not many of them anymore to see. And let's face it: an Audi A8 is a far better looking car ;)

I'm not too sure how "SUV" somehow relates to a "military car"
And - even the Audi Q7 is a pretty fair example that doesn't need to be nervously steered through a slow corner
http://www.ooyyo.net/detail/c=CD5A2...BE1A01D6617F3844110/9094895030877438774.html/

I can't really speak for Satcomer - but I'm expecting that Satcomer was really talking about the _driver_, and not so much the type of vehicle.
I don't know who said:
The car is not the problem - It is the nut that holds the wheel.

Another Scotch Ale for me please!

Yes I was over ranting about slow corners SUVs (at least here in the US). Plus to open another driver rant it is what I call the "Red Light Sleeper". You have all seen this affect, your about to take a (US) left hand turn (with a green arrow to go) and the first car goes while the next car just sits there for a good 7 to 15 seconds before going. It always get to me why people do this especially on quick light arrows to turn. I was just caught behind one coming home tonight from the grocery store. He didn't move when the green arrow came on and stayed to the last second of the arrow (all three off us behind the driver were beeping at him (yes it was a guy driver))!

Wow I got that off my chest ;) Please don't drink & drive.

My personal pet-hate are the speed-controls on the outgoing roads: you are leaving the city, no buildings anymore, no crossroads and the sign "city-border" is 50 meters ahead of you. You are speeding up and "bang" ... another ticket for exceeding the speed with 10 km/h. Which means just 100 euro's to hand over to our lovely government. They have this system fully automated now: a very small speed camera is placed, the measurement goes wireless to the police department and from there to the "justitieel incassobureau" (a dutch word I cannot translate adequate but it is the centralized completely automated fine factory) which will send you a letter with date, time, place and the severity of your "crime" and of course the cost of it. Because I have a GPS in my car, I can check the exact spot of the perpetration... and the last yup 50 meters from the sign, no crossroads, no houses, empty road :(

Do me another beer to remove my irritation ;)

Here is a strong beer for your speed camera issues.

I here speed camera issues in Maryland (In Virginia we call The People's Republic of Maryland) and they have speed cameras between DC & Baltimore. Plus at one time Maryland wanted to ban people from smoking in their own house. An uproar from all TV& Radio Stations put a stop to that.

Plus in the States most of these cameras are run by private companies. The fines my friend got were so low it would cost them more if they went to court to fight it. It seems like a racket most of the time. I had a coworker get a ticket for 1 mile over the speed limit, (on a downhill street) and a soon as he went to court about it the case, it was thrown out, so go figure.

I'm definitely not a fan of SUVs either. The more I see annoyingly and purposelessly (unless the point is to make the fat driver to look less fat when they are next to an oversized car? Anyway, there are a lot of those giant cars here) huge cars, the more I like the tiny ones. Like the Smart. Or these
http://www.toxel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/smallcars07.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1408/1130186669_5764269a38.jpg
- or sometimes it makes me want to get a Marauder to go even bigger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDoRmT0iRic

Another things that annoy me on the road is just bad driving and mobile phone use while driving. It seems everyone around here drives like they are the princess, like any of the rules or laws don't apply to them... and the only things I see the police ever trying to tackle is drink driving (i.e. downtown or roads coming from downtown on Friday and Saturday evenings). Nothing else. Nothing about endangering traffic while more interested in twittering or talking on phone while driving, nothing about illegal bypassing from the wrong side, or not using the blinkies to indicate one's intent in turning, nothing about switching the lanes WHILE you are turning to a different road, and so on. The list is endless. Drunk driving (as long as you won't hurt anyone else except yourself) and children on the backseat who can't deal with one second of entertainment absitence (thus needing the constant Disney videos on that SUVs entertainment system) don't even make that list.

I want a Marauder - then all those drunks, twits and non-blinkie users better watch out!!! :)

Really? Blinkies??

Back