Herve's Bar & Grill

Arden said:
<-19

And I don't like beer, anyway.

<-19? What's the age you can drink in the US? Or does it vary from state to state? If so, what's the legal limit where you are?

And…

whaddya mean ya don't like beer!?

arkayn said:
Legal drinking age is 21 over here.

:confused: So you're old enough to die for your country in Iraq or be executed for murder – but you can't have a beer…? :confused:

Is it just me or is there something wrong here?

Splitting hairs with complete strangers and nit-picking everybody's posts is what forums are about, isn't it? :rolleyes:

CaptainQuark said:
:confused: So you're old enough to die for your country in Iraq or be executed for murder – but you can't have a beer…? :confused:

Is it just me or is there something wrong here?

Land of the Free and all that... what a joke.

Within reason. I'm a one-man campaign for the correct use of the English language (the British version, of course – the King's English – the Real McCoy), it's part of my job, but if I were to correct everyone's language, I would make myself VERY unpopular. You don't want to be labelled a besserwisser, now do you?

::angel::

I hope it could be found to be within reason. I was not correcting language or splitting hairs, but making a point. The raising of the legal age to purchase alcohol is a response to the tragic loss of life through drunken driving accidents that have been quite reduced through the law.

Seems 18 year olds may well be old enough to volunteer to fight for king and country, but not sensible enough not to drink and drive.

In Louisiana, the legal drinking age is 18. Everywhere else, 21. No, nothing screwed up about it at all. :rolleyes:

I've had enough beer to know that it's not to my taste. I'd rather have wine, or something harder.

pds said:
I hope it could be found to be within reason. I was not correcting language or splitting hairs, but making a point. The raising of the legal age to purchase alcohol is a response to the tragic loss of life through drunken driving accidents that have been quite reduced through the law.

Seems 18 year olds may well be old enough to volunteer to fight for king and country, but not sensible enough not to drink and drive.

American logic. Did they ever think of trying to educate the people not to drink and drive, rather than use dictator tactics to save a few lives?

Perhaps it's related to the different reality of the driving experience in America than in other places.

Funny you should call it dictator tactics. It was the result of a grass roots campaign that moved the hearts of lots and lots of people.

How republican.
Seriously though, if you're not mature enough to drink alcohol, how the hell can you be mature enough to go to war, get married etc.
It defies logic.
If you want to eliminate drink driving, why not just go back to prohibition and be done with it? Hardly like all drink drivers are under the age of 21.
Mind you, the legal age for purchase of alcohol in Sweden is 20, which is stupid too, but at least it doesn't apply to anything below 3.5%. Also, it doesn't apply in bars and restaurants, although certain places have their own age restrictions.
We also have a state monopoly on alcohol sales, which has it's advantages and it's drawbacks. Whatever, the age limit has done little to stop drink driving here, it is actually on the increase.

Give me the British system any day.

---
CaptainQuark said:
Within reason. I'm a one-man campaign for the correct use of the English language (the British version, of course – the King's English – the Real McCoy), it's part of my job, but if I were to correct everyone's language, I would make myself VERY unpopular. You don't want to be labelled a besserwisser, now do you?

::angel::

Bit late for that I think. :p
In various forums, IRC channels and such, I am fairly well known for being very analytical, very picky and quite a pain in the arse at times. :rolleyes:
I don't mind what people think really. It keeps the ol' senses sharp. Most people get used to it anyway. :D
(And no, I don't correct EVERY little typo in a chat or forum – apart from my own. I HATE making typos.)

Well, now you people know me. Best to be honest about one's irritating habits straight off the bat, ne? :p

Excuses. I'd say it comes from a sheltered upbringing and being kept in the dark about drugs and alcohol. You want to educate kids about alcohol, drink driving and whatnot? Start early.

Back