Mac OS X 10.1 (5G64) GM- HOOAHHH!

Originally posted by tazmandevil
could it be sooner or later ????
For now, I'm afraid the answer is later. But if and when I have the disk image, I'll leave you a note...

the x 10.1 speed is now ok. I can bear it. But it is still slower than Windows 2k. And the finder still lag, but better than before. when you open the applications up to a certain number, the switch between them still get problem.

In a word, just better; Should be better than just better.

Depends on your hardware i guess, regardless of how many apps I have open they all switch between without a lag or stutter of window redraw. Apps open on no more than 1 complete bounce in X and classic apps are open and useable in time equal to that when I am booted in classic. My system is without question faster than 9.2.1 and waaaaay faster than any Windows system Ive used (but admittedly Ive never used a PC box that was worth a poop).

Originally posted by monty
I haven't got 10.1 yet but WHY isn't wget there? I don't see why apple would drop it. It's not like it takes up much space and AFAIK it doesn't have any security problems.

I recall reading that Apple was interested in moving from wget to curl (a similar application that actually has a few features wget lacks), since wget is a GNU tool (hence, under the GPL) and curl is licensed under something fairly close to the X11 license (much more compatible with the APSL than the GPL is.)

Can someone look under the inernational pane and tell me if there are any gree encodings under the keyboards ? (sameplace as japanese, chinese, roman and cyrilic are

Anyone with 5G48 or later and an AirPort card:

Open AirPort Setup Assistant and get a screen shot of the options for Setting Up a Network. Is Software Base Station there?

Thanks!
Ryan

Finally managed to get the image on to a CDR. The "nocd solution" didn't work at all for me. Had to send the image to a PC friend with a CDRW. I'm still amazed this worked out.

The speed increase is truly amazing on my Mac. It's infact as fast, and faster than Mac OS 9.x. This is more than I expected. DVD works flawlessly. IE could still improve, but atleast the speed is as good as in 9.x (= half the speed of the Windows version).

Vrooooooooooooom... :)

Really? You think IE is faster on the PC? I've always felt it was faster with Mac OS 9, and I like to give credit to Microsoft's Mac division when it's due. I usually use Netscape 4.7x when on a PC because of that. Granted, most of my PC friends think IE is faster, but I've never really cared for their opinions.

Hmmm
a weird thought:
I had installed G48 and then G59 on my machine
NEITHER one of the two had DVD playback or cd making functions. In G48 I had cyrillic but G59 removed it :mad:

do you guys think I will have similar probs with G64 ?
Keep in mind that formating IS NOT an option :p

Admiral

check my os x review, -osx 10.1 review by vic- and see pics on my web site with cd burning and othe perty things, they work, i used them!

Why all this explanation about getting OS X for free?!!

I never NEVER pay for software either and I got it all !!!!!!!!

HEHE!!

Pascal tu es drole lol :p

better start backing up my stuff again ;)

One more thing I noticed in G59 is that it doesnt recognize me external firewire HD :eek: !!!!!!!

You can get away without formating if you have something to show you the invisible files. Simply delete everything having to do with OS X (which is most of the invisible files) and you should be doing a nice clean install. Unless OS X hides something in some other location than the partition it is installed on... I used this method after a failed install of 5g49, when simply reinstalling OS X 10.0.0 from the original install CD left me with a kernel panic on startup. Everything seemed to work after that...

This is in reply to two of the admiral's posts, if someone else has already replyed, then forgive me, im only on page two of the thred (longes one ive ever started ;) ), and dont want to forget why im relpying :)

Can someone look under the inernational pane and tell me if there are any gree encodings under the keyboards ? (sameplace as japanese, chinese, roman and cyrilic are

When I installed, I removed all the locolization packages and I didnt see cyrilic or greek listed, but I wasnt looking that close, I can check again when I get home and back on my mac. Seeing that English and Bad Sothern English are my only two languages, the localization packages were close to 200meg of blot I could trim. Still a little upseting that I had to install 111Meg of printer drivers when I only have one little ol' Epson 777i, but hay at least it works

Keep in mind that formating IS NOT an option

Well, I can see your point, the first install of 5g64 was an update of my existing 10.0.4 install. I noticed a good speed increase, and the update went well. After doing a little testing and coming to the dessition that it was time to start using os x as my primary os, I backed everything I could find up to cd and reformated. I now have os 9.2.1 and os 10.1 on the same drive, and the speed is even better. I am sure this is do to it being a fresh install and not an update, so you may want to spend the time to make formatting an option :)

Originally posted by knighthawk
That brings up an interesting question...

Does the 10.1 updater update from 10.0.0? That is the install CD that I bought, and I would rather update it straight from that instead of downloading the 10.0.4 patch again. I have been planning on reformating with the new version comes out.

Actually, I would prefer if the CD is a full installer. Anyone know if this is the case?

If you have the 10.1UPDATE, it will require that you have X installed somewhere (dosnt matter where). And it will only allow you to install 10.1 on that partition. BUT when you come to the install, you can choose to format that partion and start from scratch, so yes the update is a full install, but checks to make sure you have a preexiting install. The full version however does not have this requirement.

Of course if 9.x and 10.0.x are on the same drive, you are screwed :)

Originally posted by bitburn
Why all this explanation about getting OS X for free?!!

I never NEVER pay for software either and I got it all !!!!!!!!

HEHE!!

I know, I know, 3 post in a row, but hey i had to catch up :)

bitburn, its simple. most of us here at macosx.org actually LIKE apple. Unlike most windozers, we buy apple products because not only are the products good, but we want apple to succeed. My personal pholosiphy on software is as follows. I will d/l it for free, and if I feel the price is resonable, I use the product for the perpous it was intended, and its not made by Microsoft, I will pay for it. Otherwise, I wont.

For example, I PAID FOR Mac OS X, I PAID for pepper(text editor for X), I DID NOT PAY for Final Cut Pro, I DID NOT PAY for Microsoft office. Mac OS X is a consumer operateing system, and only cost 128 dollars, thats nothing to laugh at, but it was worth it for the quality of the product. Also I am a consumer and I am useing it on a consumer machine. There for it meets all points of my pholosiphy. My use of Final Cut Pro does not. I think for what it does, the price is resonable, and it is not made by microsoft, but I dont use it for profesional video editing. I use it OCATIONALY to edit my home movies and to play with, but I make no money off of it. Microsoft office is made by Microsoft, so I refuse to pay for it, also the price is way way inflated.

Basicly here is the jist. I feel I need to explain why I dl'ed the 10.1 update illicitly because under normal circumstances I would have paid for it. Just as I paid for OS X final.

As apple said OS X 10.1 update is *free*, just shipping costs and such. Eliminate shipping costs and you can get it for free (well the price for your internet connection) on the net.

Back