The BIG OS 10.2 thread...

Originally posted by Myke
I thought I had made clear that my complaint about the dock is to do with opening NEW apps, not returning to ones already open.

(Even for those already in the dock you need two clicks ...)
The OS 9 Apple Menu needed at least 2 clicks to launch an app - one to open the menu, another to select the app. I click once on an unopened app in the dock, and it launches. If there is an app not in the dock, it's easily accessible in my Applications folder. Personally, I keep most of apps in my dock, but I guess 800x600 iBook screens shouldn't need to do that. Yay 1024x768+ resolutions!

My wish list for Christmas:

- full support of ALL Unix/Linux applications (WordPerrfect!)
- German and other language dictionaries for Mail
- PGP for Mail
- FTP capacities built-in
- a simple text editor that lets you write HTML without perverting the source code (German Umlaute etc.)
- speed ;-)

Apart from that, I like Mac OS X as it is!!!

I would like the trash to say how many files it contains and how much space they use when I empty it (like it did in Mac OS 9).

First off, let me say this. In OS 9, you could open an app in ONE CLICK. Click and hold on the Apple menu, drag down to the application you want, and release the mouse button. 1 click

With the dock, you also only need one click. Move your mouse down to where the dock is, it unhides. No click yet. Move to the application you want to launch. No click yet. When you find it, *click*. Again, 1 click. Where in the WORLD do you guys get 3 clicks to launch an app from the dock or two from the Apple menu (actually, I know how you got the Apple menu one because if you click and release on a menu it stays open, so you can do it in 2 clicks, but you don't need to). Keep it simple guys.

Now what i don't understand is how people can complain about the dock when it's so simple to make an Apple menu in it. Solution: Make a folder. Drop all the apps you want in your "Apple Menu". Get info on the folder and change the icon to an Apple. Drag the folder to the right side of your dock. There. You HAVE AN APPLE MENU. There's no way that you can't have an Apple menu with the dock, because you can still click-and-hold on the folder and get a list of contents ALPHABETICALLY. How the HECK is this different from the Apple menu other than the location? (Hint: It ISN'T)

Sheesh. It's not that hard to make an Apple menu with the dock.

Correct, correct... :)
I was about to write exactly the same as you, until I read your post ;)

Originally posted by Carlo
Other than that though I must say this time last year I was using os9 and wondering what x would bring. I lost burning support (and im just getting it back now) and lost themes but gained so much. OSX rules.

I think that's very true. The fact that people sacrifice many features amd functions by using X and still loving it really shows how well Apple has done with this so far. It has plenty of room for improvement, but we're enjoying the ride. OS X rules.

•Offload as much Quartz/GUI stuff to hardware excelleration as possible.

I adding a Radeon PCI to my Beige G3 this week (have a Rage II+ 2MB), and want to see as much hardware excelleration as possible.

I use Terminal.app far more than all other applications combined; this makes me painfully aware of just how bad it is.

¥ It deals poorly with extremely large font sizes.

¥ Its implementation of ansi color is just blatantly broken.

¥ There is no way (that I've found) to configure the actual colors used to display the 16 ansi "colors".

¥ It doesn't support drag & drop! (Okay, it supports drop, but not drag.)

The last of these seems unbelievable from an Apple application... until you remember that this isn't an Apple application. This is exactly the same Terminal.app which shipped with NeXTstep fifteen years ago.

Ironically, in fact, it's exactly the same Terminal.app which no one could stand fifteen years ago, and which everyone replaced with the much-loved Stuart.

Really, this application should've been rewritten about fifteen years ago. Perhaps someone'll get around to it sometime this decade?

Re: You all are wrong!, Originally posted by simX
First off, let me say this. In OS 9, you could open an app in ONE CLICK. Click and hold on the Apple menu, drag down to the application you want, and release the mouse button. 1 click

Hey Sim, "we" are not all wrong. I never said that, in fact have the same subjective opinion you do. So some of them are wrong, not all.

honestly I thought the thing about the apple menu was over already... come on people move beyond OS 9. it's old news now and X has proven it's usability and worth.

I did exactly what the last person wrote and have had it that way for nearly a year now.

who needs an apple menu it works exactly the same!
these are my dock menus
Launcher (apple type menu)
Projects holds current work in progress
Junk folder holds junk from the DT
and SlashDock

Personaly I find this better than any apple menu

have a look http://jupitermultimedia.com/1235648762.gif

cheers

Originally posted by SCrossman

Hey Sim, "we" are not all wrong. I never said that, in fact have the same subjective opinion you do. So some of them are wrong, not all.

Thanks for turning this into a debate about semantics. :rolleyes:

You know what I meant. Again, :rolleyes:.

the problem with the dock is that the delay for a popup menu is too long...

Of course, the answer to this is not to bring back the apple menu, but to make this delay into a preference that can be changed.

Originally posted by Javintosh

Of course, the answer to this is not to bring back the apple menu, but to make this delay into a preference that can be changed.

Or make the directory smaller, or adding sub folders. That's what I did.

efoivx, I like your Dreamweaver icon, where did you get it?

Mine comes up instantly.

The delay is about 3/4 of a second, and is there to make sure that you don't actually mean to single-click on it. *gasp* I have to wait 3/4 of a second! :rolleyes:

You can also control-click on your "Apple menu" to get it to pop up instantly in the Dock, if you really need to save 1/2 of a second.

Is it really 3/4 of a second!?:eek:

boy it sure seems like an eternity...

I used finder pop under OS 9. I had the popup speed on contextual menus set faster than the current dock popup speed. I used finder pop as a launcher because I though going all the way to the apple menu was too inefficient. (plus with finder pop you can add, and delete menu items by hitting keyboard shortcuts while the contextual menu was open).

Anyhow, the dock just feels slower than finder pop. I don't know, it is not the delay as much as the pause (does that make any sense? :confused: ). By the time I click on the dock, I am already thinking about where to go to open the app/URL/finder window; the current delay is jarring because it makes me stop and wait for the dock. (yes, I am a little OC about efficiency. :D)

I'd really like he delay to be somewhere between 1/4 to 1/2 a second (leaning to 1/4). I can click and release in much less time than that (I think), but a slider (like MouseZoom) would be great to finding out just where my individual sweet spot is for popup menu delay.

my menus pop right open... then again I keep everything sub catagorized... no need to have a huge long messy menu. Even when I had the apple menu I always sub catagorized it, the stock way apple gave it to us was a mess.

As for my icons, most I got from http://xicons.macnn.com
direct link to the Macromedia icons http://download.macnn.com/xicons/0068macromediapro.sit.hqx

Cheers

PS for those STILL crying over pop up folders try Drop Drawers
the new version is very very customizable though I personaly never liked pop up windows. at least drop drawers allows you to put them ANYplace even sides or top ;-)
For those missing the Application menu go download ASM there ya go back to the old OS

In fact with extremely little effort you can get X to look and act nearly exactly as 9. why I'll never know but here ya go

here's a dt shot

http://jupitermultimedia.com/sd654vg.jpg

cheers

hazmat, efoivx,

Do you mean that your popup menus open equally fast whether you click or control click on the dock?

if so, maybe there is a hidden setting somewhere that can be tweaked afterall. :)

hazmat, efoivx,

Do you mean that your popup menus open equally fast whether you click or control click on the dock?

if so, maybe there is a hidden setting somewhere that can be tweaked afterall. :)

Yes. Whether right-clicking (I use a 3-button mouse) or control-clicking, the menus I have in the Dock come up right away. Maybe that I have a G4 867 with 384 megs of RAM? Not sure what your system is, but my G4 350 at work with 384 megs as well is noticeably slower. Both 10.1.1.

Ah you're right ... I do right click the menus that would have them pop faster...

Sorry about that... I use a 3 button mouse and right click them so they open instantly. left clicking there is a slight pause.

Cheers

Back