Herve's Bar & Grill

cd /pub; more beer; wine

Howdy Arden, long time no see.. what's new and exciting in life (apart of the MacBook Pro)?

Just the new computer, the new apartment in the city, and the new school. Otherwise, not terribly much.

Time for a nice glass of red wine.
"Nothing new" here either for a while. Same job and still liking it, and it feels good to have people ask me to apply for specific jobs around. But I will (have to) wait for 2,5 months before looking at the next steps. When or even where... after being over 4 years in a place that was supposed to be a transitory city and country for about 4 months, I start to feel itchy and idle. Where do I want to go (at least as the second option, or if the primary option is still with zero updates after way too long)?

Sunday night, 23:28h here. Watchin' TV. I hate weekends that pass too quickly. Gotta take a sip, o for me it's time for a nice glass of absinth. Nothing like that cool, pale green fog to quiet the mind.

No, authentic absinthe from France and Switzerland. There's no "real" absinthe from Czech, really. It's a French and Swiss tradition that originated in the Val-de-Travers, Vaud (Switzerland) The wiki-article on absinthe has it quite correct, although the Czech industry wants to change history constantly with their blogs and wiki-attacks as well. They're trying to invent a history of absinthe-production in Bohemia. Well: It's a new one.

I just had a bizarre experience at the local supermarket ... I wanted a carton of *plain* (as opposed to Thickened) cream.

I'd been there yesterday evening and noticed they were all out and this afternoon it was the same, as though no one had bothered to restock the fridgey thing.

I went to the service desk and the lady informed me that the Thickened Cream they had was "runny". I said no, I wanted plain cream or ordinary cream or just 'cream' whatever it's called doesn't really matter as there is only Thickened Cream or Cream, then Lite Thickened or Lite Cream.

She then paged the storeguy in charge of that section and it was as though he didn't *get* what I wanted, even though we were standing in front of the open fridgey thing where it was patently obvious of the absence of that particular product, one just had to look at the gaping space where there were should be they type of Cream they normally stock, from about 3 - 4 different manufacturers. He told me all the cream products they stocked were of the 'thickened' variety due to the addition of gluten.

Eventually he disappeared out the back with a small carton of cream as though the entire situation was normal, as opposed to a sketch out of a Monty Python show.

I guess I should have specified"Pure Cream" ...

If you lived in the West of England, you would also come across clotted cream - designed mainly for clogging your arteries - but mind-blowingly delicious nevertheless. It is usually served with a warm scone and strawberry jam (jelly for our American cousins). I once managed four lavishly topped scones, but I had cycled a 100 miles before reaching the tearooms.

In fact the West of England is generally pretty dangerous for your health. The clotted cream does irreparable damage to your vascular system and the scrumpy cider produced by local farmers, rots your brain (sometimes overnight).

BTW, I am very partial to cream. Apart from adding it to virtually every curry dish I make, I also enjoy a White Russian as an aperitif: vodka, Kahlúa (or Tia Maria) and cream served with ice.

Cheers!

Attachments

• scones.jpg
    scones.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 6
I think we have an equivalent called 'Double Cream' .... then we have this which is pretty much the penultimate experience when it comes to dessert enhancers, but 'runny cream' is a no-brainer or so I thought.

I think I'm "Beyond Grumpy Old Men" material.

Hm... after all that cream, Bailey's anyone? :)
Stressing day, I feel like wearing competitors t-shirts tomorrow and having a nice drink now.

The hell with the cream, I'm going out for a lager. Good luck.

PS Were the four pints of Guiness ordered when the pub was closing? When the bell rang, what. Just a logistical question.

Oh yes, the Guinness. I should blame hanging out in Franciscan Well for getting confused with that. That would be the only place in Ireland where they don't serve Guinness.
So time for a pint....

Back