Safari with Tabs (v62 - v71)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only point is that I personally don't consider it reasonable that no interface elements can be placed at the bottom of a screen or window because of fear of carpal tunnel.

What about the horizontal scroll bar? Or the resize area? They've ALWAYS been at the bottom.

Yep... I know a bit dramatic maybe but more or less it seems that Apple REALLY listens to its customers!

Safari with Tabs? I want it NOW! ;)

Anyways, as for Tabs being on top and hanging on the address bar I think that it is awesome... And an x button to close them with the mouse without going left, right, far away from each tab in general? Cool! Now, what about that Bookmarking Tabs, Apple? :rolleyes: As for brushed VS aqua theme of Safari, I think that it is time for Apple to let its users enjoy the benefits of themes which many users enjoy albeit on a "insecure" basis... Of course I'm talking of themes as a function across the OS X UI and not only in Safari :D Now, if only Apple is reading this, too ;)

As for the mouse:
-I think that Apple has to go wireless be it USB or Bluetooth ASAP and the same with keyboard. Both mouse and keyboard are top quality but they have to go wireless...
-Also, I think that I want the mouse to remain single "button" BUT... on top of it! Underneath I want the mouse to become a whole NEW beast: If you click the left area of the mouse it must register as a left click. If you click the right area of the mouse it must register as a right click. When you click in the middle it must register the same way it is now: Left click. However, on top of the mouse, in the middle, a small part, could be something like iPod's "jog" or if you prefer a touchpad like in xBooks in order for the user to be able to use it as a wheel and/or a third button! Something like the last thing exists on one of Macally (I think I spelled wrong but anyways) mice but not a very good version compared to the one I have in mind :rolleyes: As for the left/right clicking mechanism, I think that it could become a reality easily based on the same mechanism already Apple is using for Apple Pro Mouse...

On the other hand I'm sure that Apple will surprise us anyways but I hope it would be a cool surprise and not give us just another mouse to use as other companies like to do. But then again Apple isn't just another company :D

Sounds good about the mouse... and then they could go a step further and have it pressure sensitive... say I have 10 pages on top of each other or am looking for a folder burried deep within a set of nested ones, the more pressure I apply downward the further and faster the cursor dives into the nested area. As in a stack of papars instead of moving each one i could stick my finger through the stack and pick out the one I need by pressing harder into the stack.

Wasn't Apple the one that was trying out the 3D file nesting system. I remember someplace or somewhere you could fly through your folders... I know I wasn't dreaming has to be about 5 years ago... Anyone remeber what that was called and if they ever did anyting with that?

Originally posted by brianleahy
My only point is that I personally don't consider it reasonable that no interface elements can be placed at the bottom of a screen or window because of fear of carpal tunnel.

What about the horizontal scroll bar? Or the resize area? They've ALWAYS been at the bottom.

The TaskBar! It is at the bottom of the screen too! :D

Or Linux "TaskBar"? It is at the bottom too! :rolleyes:

Or OS 9 Control Strip? ;)

Come on guys, Tabs MUST be on top or even better if Apple would give the people the option to put them Top, Bottom, Left, Right? I don't know! At least for me, the best place is on top of a web page and hanging under the "address" bar :D

Yeah, i remember the three-d Finder! Was right before Copland (os8) i think. we should make a thread about it and see if anyone got some old magazines they could scan pictures from. It would be kool to see it. Was thinking about it some days ago when i tried to come up with new kool stuff they could do with OSX.

I hope apple implements command-1, command-2 to switch tabs... I cant remember if it was in chimera but I think that was. Or some other keyboard shortcut for switching tabs.
On the mouse issue I think apple has plenty of options to innovate mice, beacuse they haven't changed much for 3 plus years, and the basic idea of the mouse has been around since the first macintosh, 30+ years ago. A mouse like the optical mouse that comes with mac's now would be tight if you toutched the left and left clicked, or if you could toutch the right to right click; but maintain the single surface on the top. It would have to be like a toutch screen... That would be good for the functionality and design.

How did you guys get it? It's not supposed to come out till next month, and you already have it? Are you a part of the apple seed program???

Androo It's just a non-public beta. Gotten from who knows where.

[Fryke's Edit: Don't post links to warez or means how to get them...]

Originally posted by mr. K
has anyone figured out the forms autofill yet? Or has it been overlooked by the tabs :) great job on tabs apple, I like how you guys reinvented the look, didn't just copy it from chimera :)

Auto Forms dosen't refer to something like the Auto Fill feature in IE. It's a feature where Safari remembers what you typed in search and form boxes and which site it was at. You could go to versiontracker.com, type "s" and all the searches you've made with an s would come up like the pic shows. I've seen this feature on windows. It's very useful.

jpg.gif
Attachment: autocomplete.jpg

Yesterday I downloaded the .dmg image of this pre-released version. Upon reading of the problems that alot of people were having with this build, I decided to not install it and wait for the finial official Apple release. Preferabily thru the software update facility. Yes, I would like Tabs, but I'll wait.

The tabs are fine, as is the auto-complete feature. I'm now about to move from Netscape 7.0 as my default browser to Safari. It's great!

And what was that other browser I used for seven years or so? Oh, yes - Internet Explorer. No need to even mention it now....

Originally posted by brianleahy
Anyway, about them inverted tabs -- anyone think being able to optionally put them below the content area might be worthwhile?

No. All the browser controls that you access regularly are at the top of the application, as they are in many other apps and the OS windows. Splitting the controls top and bottom is a wrotten idea as it forces you to continually move between the top and bottom of the app.

And no, that does not mean the Dock should move to the top as well. The dock is a sort of screen metaphor and functions very well the way it is now. Besides, if it were at the top it would interfere with the funtion of the menu bar.

Originally posted by drustar
What's so buggy about the new build?

It crashes on many occasions - they are hardly reproduceable though - sometimes it crashes when i open a tab (a blank one), sometimes not - it also tends to crash fairly often when i hit the back button.

And it also crashes sometimes when i am submitting forms.

I've merged your two posts, Chibi15. Please use the 'edit' button if you have to add something to a just submitted post.

Apart from that: It hasn't crashed on me in the last 2.3 days... And I'm using it with five tabs always open, adding one or two from time to time... Maybe trash your prefs would help?

Fryke, why do you have the software, but you won't let us get it? (Yes, yes, yes, I know about the site rules...)

;)

did this build of safari kill ichat for anyone else? ichat is extremely laggy for me when v62 is open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back