Herve's Bar & Grill

Ahhh, we've moved on to lots of rain now. But they're also predicting a decent summer. Seems a bit far in advance to try to make that prediction!

The only thing those forecasters get right: At 9 pm it is dark.

(disclaimer: except during the summer in parts of Canada & Alaska & Iceland)

We lived in Moscow for a couple years - on the top floor of a 14 story building near Moscow State University. The evenings were spectacular through the western windows as the sun set after 11 pm (iirc) in a magenta glow and then rose again before 6 in a full blaze of color in the eastern windows. I was a wonderfully weird light to go for a stroll in on warm summer nights.

Not always dark at 9.

I remember one trip to Canada and it was still dark outside at breakfast time. We'd arrived late the night before and had been jet lagged, so we were very sleepy and had not seen much of the landscape when a friend drove us from the airport to the hotel. Whilst having breakfast, we asked each other how far away the mountains must be. As the sun rose, the outdoors became illuminated and we realised the mountains were right next to us! We quickly learned that the apparent late sun rises and early sun sets for us were because the sun had to get above the mountains. :D

Man it was actually 77 here in Upstate NYS and Sunny at least 3 days! This has been great for once this year!

That sounds quite nice, Satcomer. :)

Going from snow, cold, rain, and the dark, I know people who have lived in very different parts of the world and told me of temperatures ~60 C (~140 F). I'm definitely not made for those sorts of temperatures! :D

Well it’s officially Summer now but we have wetter this Summer and the rivers are just about to go over their banks! Luckily I live on hill so I just have to worry about too much rain will cause land slides!

We're also seeing the news about the heatwave in the north west of the US and in Canada. Almost 50 °C in British Columbia?! o_O

This Summer night her have been cool, 80 F and 60 F at night! This is not normal this time of year!

Last edited:
As I recall from many moons ago (or we could use the wayback machine) these strange weather happenings were blamed on El Nino or La Nina. But then I could be confusing this.
I wonder --- if this is just a pattern repeating itself from 100 - 150 - 200 years ago.

Which one do you have? I got the m1air. It is definitely fast, but it’s not “pleasant” or “fun” if you know what I mean. That is down to the OS I guess. It is cold and hard. I’m not looking for lucky skeumorphism ala the big cats, but there is minimal as a style and there’s minimal as a lack of style (heart?).
I met Big Sut with this MacBook Air and I’m not sure if it’s the m1 or the OS that has me at my iMac.

Nice! :) My work machine is about 4 years old but gets very heavy usage every day. So it's not super old, but there are times I'd like something a bit faster and with more RAM... and more storage of course!

Nice! :) My work machine is about 4 years old but gets very heavy usage every day. So it's not super old, but there are times I'd like something a bit faster and with more RAM... and more storage of course!

You should get the M1 Mac Book Air then you could dib your fingers in the current Mac OS! I am very surprised at the speed on the M1 chips!

Back